My Plant Tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I took some pics today of my 6 gallon Eclipse plant tank. It has 5 tiger barbs and an amano shrimp. I love this little thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Setup details here.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thats a real nice planted tank there

i wish i had learned more about planted tanks when i had freshwater but i didnt know that much about them. it wasnt until my brackish tank that i started to get into plants with some of the fish i had it would have made it more intersting

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Karla.
    I actually just finished doing a water change on it.

The sand I used seems to be pretty good for plants. Lots of roots everywhere. Those plants are all low-light plants which makes it easier. They seem to do well with the 3 watts per gallon I have going.

I love that little thing.

I just got all the replacement filters I needed for my SpectraPure R.O. unit so I might start using R.O. on this tank too.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Matt, a couple of months ago I was looking for info on planting my Eclipse, and found a description and some pics re: DIY CO2 (output placed behind the biowheel). I was also checking out your setup at the time - was it your CO2 configuration that I saw?

If so, I can't seem to find it now... ?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll need an airstone in there, or not? It seems like the bubbles are going to escape...

Thanks,
    Ian

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi Ian, yeah it may have been mine, I am not aware of anyone else doing it that way, I have pics here:
    http://www.3reef.com/freshwater.htm

I think some bubbles probably did escape, but I thought that the current was strong enough to pull some into the tank. Not sure though. I honestly didn't notice much improvement in plant growth with my Co2 setup, so maybe it wasn't working too well. IN fact, I don't use it anymore.

A diffuser in the main tank would certainly be more efficient.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, Matt, I'll play around with it and see how it goes...

Ian

8. Click Here!

9. Salty

Salty Guest

Hi Matt. I love your tank. How long did it take to get that way ? I have 2 CO2 units going, but I'm not sure if they're doing what they should. The bubbles just rise to the top & burst. Should they do more? When you do your water change do you sometimes vaccuum the gravel/sand or do you let the plants take care of that ?