My Personal TaoTronics Review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin3884, Mar 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

lol gave up already? :) Do u need a hug?....lol

2. Click Here!

3. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

From the pics, it looks like the TaoTronics have a bit more of a spotlight effect than the AI's, other than that, I see no difference. I am going to follow along as I am always looking for an alternatitive to Metal Halide lighting!

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I like your thread on these, and I might have even gone for the dimmable versions, for two of them they'd be at least $80 more. I didn't know they had them, and I needed lights fast 'cause I just sent back some new PC's for refund.

As of now, I'm happy with mine and the fan noise doesn't bother me much. My DT is in my family room, which has 18 foot ceilings- great for our remote helicopter btw. Maybe the large room dissipates the noise some. My sump is also under my stand, not below in my basement, so it has some noise also.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That describes me pretty closely!;)

6. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Nice initial review Kevin3884. I bought 2 myself just this week but I don't plan on using them yet. Just wanted to jump on them while the price was right. I'm interested to see your results over the coming months. Subscribed

7. Kevin3884

I am impressed with the light output so much so that I upped it to run from 12-5PM...since a lot of the corals I have are used to 12hrs of MH on a buddy's tank...acclimation really isnt and issue..lol

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

How long have you had the Sol's?

On a sidenote- my SRO external skimmer is right next to my tank so I doubt I'll hear the fans over the bubbleblaster pump! I can certainly understand the concern for those of us who want things quiet though :).

10. Kevin3884

I have had the SOLs for about 3 months now....they do an awesome job, but i want my corals to have a crap load of light for faster growth..that why i've decided to take this experiment on

11. Nismo400rgtr

Truthfully I had never seen either fixture in person until recently. My usual LFS, that I decided to visit after about 2 months, has 5 Al sols over a large frag tank(what intensities their running I'm uncertain). I was impressed. The Taotronics I saw in a LFS I had never been in. They were over a 125 and I stood in there long enough to see the blues only and then both spectrums come on. Again, I was impressed(at that point mine had already been shipped :) ).

What length of time are you running just the blues?

12. Kevin3884

They are just a high noon to 5 effect, so they are both on..not one or the other...my AI SOLs are in charge of running sun up and sun down (controlling what color lights are on and when)... :)