My Personal TaoTronics Review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin3884, Mar 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

200's+ is a enough PAR for SPS...and will be PLENTY for softies and lps...up at the top...in the 400's...thats crazy amounts of light....which explains my anemones spot (and growth..grrr)...

2. Click Here!

3. ihigh

ihigh Astrea Snail

could you perhaps get a bit more information of how high it is from the water, how many fixtures, and the length of the tank? thanks!

4. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

I know it's 8" from the water, but I don't know anything else. It was a custom build that he doesn't have anymore but I think he was using 2 fixtures.

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

6. needmorecowbell

I have the dimmable version. I dont think its taotronics but it is made like one. Another Chinese supplier.

7. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

Hey guys just an update on my modifying the lights so they can be controlled by a controller.

I currently have the lights apart and the wiring is surprisingly (or not) super simple. I am working with my electrical engineer on the most cost effective way to convert them to 0-10VDC inputs instead of pots.

I have no desire to attempt PWM control.

Also, i'm changing the fans out for quieter ones. I'll make a DIY post once I do it.

8. Click Here!

9. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

I have another question about these in ref to the color spectrum...

I have 2 of the dimmable version over my 125 and was thinking I would like to add a little variation from the blue.. What are your opinions on the look if I add a couple of stunner strips (magenta) or other additional LEDs to the tank.. Has anyone added any additional leds with these?

Thanks...

Suggestions on which additional LEDs if its recommended?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. needmorecowbell

Nova, Im very interested in what you find.. I'd like to put mine on a controller at some point.

I am adding uv cyan and maybe green to mine, those would be a good Idea going from most important to least. I highly recommend uv (actually true violet, not uv, that's what the industry calls it.), it's had some good results.

11. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

Why not jest change out the drivers to ones that a reefkeeper or apex can control?

12. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

A dimmable driver to power 25 3W leds is going to cost about $100 each... x4. That defeats the purpose of buying a budget enclosure.

The solution I'm trying to figure out should run about $20 hopefully.