My new sps frag!!! :(

Discussion in 'Frags' started by s14hayame, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Finally talk my LFS into to fragging a piece of the acro that he have. It's about 1 1/2" little pink and purple. all so happy when home glued it on a piece of rock pull it in my tank. but this morning i looked at it before i left for work i notice some part of tips is turning white:(...... its no like its growing that fast to notice growth this much in 12hrs roughly. so what do u think guys, would it make it or it wont?

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

After 24 hrs it's hard to say what the future holds. It could have ben a shock for that little piece and it may be "hiding". I would guess that it's not new growth. My big pices doesn't even grow that fast in 12 hrs. You're just going to gave to wait it out and see. Some may die off, but if you water is stable and good then it should grow back slooowwwwly.

4. s14hayame

i think i might have shock the crap out of it between the lfs fragging it and me glueing it....... well lets hope it will recover if not oh well...... got it really cheap so if it dies it would hurt that much :)

5. Phil125

Phil125 Plankton

way to early to tell. Are the polyps out?

6. s14hayame

no the polyps is no where near coming out..........

7. usmc121581

usmc121581 Astrea Snail

I did the same thing. Woke up the following morning and a tip was white, then came home and completly white. I still have some of the polypsor string things coming out of the tip but the coral is completly white. Hopefully you have better luck with it.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

the biggest factor I have found when dealing with acclimation of SPS is PH. Any this is t is much lower than yours and the stock has caused bleaching. You need to look at the coral to look at the tissue. If the tissue is coming off then the coral frag is likely done for. But if it is just bleaching I would suspect a bounce back ones it is comfortable in the new water chemistry.

One other factor could be if it was a wild caught coral the frag came from. Very often the frags do poorly when sold right away

J

10. s14hayame

well atleast ur polyps are out :) but i think urs might be bleaching do u have it very high up in the tank?? i place mine somewhat lower mid to aclimate it to the light eventaully ill move em up but.......mine might not make it to see the brighter light......

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

When you frag a coral, it places alot of stress on that particular coral...Some are better able to handle it than others. I would add Iodine to your tank to help in the recovery of the coral. It takes upwards of a week or so for the corals to return to normal after the cutting.
    The other thing to watch out for is placement in your tank!!!! What neighboring corals are there and can they affect your Acan. Lighting differentiation! Is the intensity of the light that the frag was in at the pet shop similar to the lighting in your tank? You run the risk of bleaching if the lighting is different as your frag is releasing Zooxanthellae mainly to over oxydation (saturation level is exceded)!!!!!

12. s14hayame

well at my lfs the colony was geting pc and t5 lightings i have 175 14k but i have it at close to the bottom of the tank. now i m wondering if i should take it out and do an iodine drip....