My new hobby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kamikaze8302, Aug 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

yea theres a lot to learn about the hobby. im still learning and so far everyone on 3reef has been extremely helpful.

today i did not pick up the mh lights bc my uncle had one and it is just way too big for my tank and he is not sure if it even works anymore. so i had passed by petland and saw a elo t5. so i purchase it and i am not really satisfied with it. so i am going to return it and buy this one T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights seems like a really good deal. also bc i wanted lunar lights hehe. as for the flow i am going to get some much better than what i am using right now. i am going to keep one of my powerjet 660 and get a Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump #2 either #3. what do you guys think?

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you are going to spend the money, I would invest in either the Nova Extreme Pro T5 or the Tek T5 lighting systems. They have individual reflectors that will give you much more bang for your buck. I am not sure about the Nova system but I know the Tek does not come with Lunar lights. You can put those together yourself pretty cheap. Personally, I am going with the Tek when it is time for me to buy. Look at the deals Tangster has if you want to go Tek. He is under the sponsor section.

I would only use your 660s as extra if at all. I would still go with two Koralia 1s. One on each side pointed toward the center of the tank. It will give your tank a better wave motion than trying to match a Koralia 3 (850GPH) with your 660 (170GPH)

4. kamikaze8302

if was to get the t5 light system. they only come in a 24" or a 36". my tank is only 30". i was just thinking that i can just rig a 24" to fit my tank bc if i were to get a 36", it will be way too big. yea no??

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Hmmmmm. Don't know. Will have to wait for another poster on this one. I will be watching as well.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

it depends on how crafty you are ;D

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Pretty much. How does the light mount? Does it come with hangars for hanging from the ceiling?
    You might have to make legs. I dont think it would really matter, but one thing to consider is the amount of overspill/wasted light with the one that would be longer. More lighting would be a waste if it's not making its way into your tank

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Hey welcome to 3reef! :wave:
    Are you shopping at a LFS in Kissimmee FL? Sounds like the one I used to go to:inquisiti......Watch out, LFS's for the most part will sell you anything, even if there is a chance it will die. That way when it does, you'll go back to buy more and try to figure out why it died and they can sell you junk you don't need! Before you buy ANYTHING come on 3reef first and ask.

Need an answer quick? Use the search button above. There's a lot of info in there and chances are, your question has been already answered!:)

Since you have inverts and only one clown, you have no detritus(poop), or very little. The cuke cleans the sand. It will eat dirty sand and poop out clean sand's gonna die without enough food, same with the star.

The anemone is a whole nother can-o-worms.

and Yep, More rock!;D

oh yeah one more thing, take out the wheel/s part of your bio wheel filter. It's known to harbor nitrates.

ok two things....what kind of protein skimmer do you have?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  10. kamikaze8302

so i should just take out the bio wheel, okay i will do that. as for the protein skimmer its a red sea prizm skimmer. i just got some more rocks, total in the tank is ~20lbs, today from my uncle who also has a salt tank. he has been doing this for years. anyways, i am from GA. when i go look for inverts or fish i go to muiltple ones before i purchase it. other than that i shop at nemo fish, they seem like they have some good deals on fish and inverts compare to all the other places i have gone to.

11. kamikaze8302

yep i am goin to rig it in order for it to fit. i am pretty good at ghetto rig things. i am going to give it a try, who knows someone on here might benefit from it when i am done. it would be a good diy project

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ooooo do i see a ghettoriffic diy thread a comin? ;D

yes I would take the wheel out. are you getting good gunky brown gunk from the skimmer? if yes then cool!

where is nemo fish? what town?

also, where from in GA?