My new hobby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kamikaze8302, Aug 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

how can i have a better flow in the tank? right now i have a protein skimmer, a filteration system with a biowheel, 2 power jets 660s. do i need a better power jet? and i am picking up a mh light today

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Amen to that. This does not sound like the kind of LFS I would want to trade with. Mine will not only take them back but give you credit for it. And thank you GLW........for the good of the little guys. Let's face it, they are living things.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Your two power jets are doing 170GPH each = 340GPH. I don't know what the flow is for the skimmer and the biowheel, let's take a guess at about 160 combined = 500GPH. You're about halfway there. If you were to add two Koralia 1's, you may be in like flynn. That is 800GPH right there. You may want to subtract one of your 660s, but that would be up to you. That would take care of your flow.

However......I have a PM out to Reeron. He hooked me up with my flow needs. I would wait for confirmation.

Here is an eBay link to the Koralia's. eBay is the way to go. The very cheapest.

HYDOR KORALIA 1 PUMP -400 GPH CIRCULATION - eBay (item 140262541695 end time Sep-05-08 20:30:25 PDT)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I would agree. Your biowheel filter and skimmer is probably giving you about 250 gph of flow. I'll be conservative and say 200 gph.

In my 38 gallon tank I have 1200gph of flow, and it's not too much. I'm actually thinking of buying a Koralia #2 and swapping one of the #1s for it. Then taking the #1 and putting it in my 20 gallon. That would give me around 1400gph for my 38. Still won't be excessive, but will give good enough flow that cyno won't be a problem (isn't now either). 1200/38 * 30 = 947 gph. 1400/38 * 30 = 1105gph. That's the range I'd shoot for (950-1100). Two Koralia #1s (800gph total), the skimmer, and the biowheel will give you about 1000gph. That's about right in the middle of the above range, which I think would be excellent. I'd also keep one of your original powerheads in the tank, and keep it pointing up to the water's surface (like you already have), so you keep good surface agitation (will help keep oxygen levels up- always a good thing).

That's my 2 cents.

PS- The Koralias have a very nice, gentle, wide flow. Not like yout current powerheads which have a very narrow, hard, fast flow. Although the Koralias seem to have a ton of flow, since it's not concentrated in a narrow stream, they will move a lot of water without throwing your fish (and other inhabitants) around. They will actually enjoy it, and some have reported that their clown(s) will swim in the flow for exercise.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

7. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Both my clown and tang do!! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

So do mine! My clowns and damsel's take it a step farther, and aim themsleves towards them when it's feeding time, and "catch" the mysis that come flinging out of them;D

10. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

ok thanks. i will look into it. thanks

11. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Howdy! and welcome to 3Reef

12. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

lol not to add to it. but i see alot of your equipment is in the tank. not that thats a bad thing. but with that cucumber he will almost certianly find his way into a pump specialy once the koralias are in. and if that happens holy toxic hell batman.

there really shouldnt be sold at all, to anyone.one of those things that just dosent do well in captivity, im sure some have had success keeping them but not many.
    unless you have the specific knowledge to care for them

the depth of information in this hobby is absolutely insane so research everything befor you do anything, we are dealing with the replication of the most fraggile eco system on earth, takes alot more knowledge than you can imagine. dont be bumed.