My new hobby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by kamikaze8302, Aug 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

Hi 3reef, I had just recently setup the tank and has been running for about a month. Then I slowly started to add things. So far I have live rocks, a clown fish, 3 hermit crabs, 2 snails, 2 anemones, just bought a sea cucumber and a chocolate chip starfish. I want to have better lighting to the tank but I don't know what kind. All the levels are good and stable, I check the water every 2-3 days and do a 20% water change every month (~3-4 weeks). I am planning on adding some more fish in the tank maybe like something to move the sand around and a relatively medium size fish not too small not too big, and a shrimp(the red firecracker I think that is what they are called). let me know what you guys think, any advice would help

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Looks nice! Thinking about adding some more rock also?

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ok, your tank is way to knew for any animals to survive right now, you need more live rock, the nems and the cuc are going to die for sure, unless this was pre-owned/cycled????

1 person likes this.
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Looks nice!
    Not to be rude, but I noticed a few MAJOR problems with your tank. You should think about getting the anemones out of there ASAP. Anemones require very good lighting, very good water flow, and VERY good and established tanks. When they die, they release toxins which will most likely take out your whole tank. The same goes for the sea cucumber.
    Anemones shouldn't even be considered until your tank has been running at least 8 months.
    The only reason I am calling this one out is that I have just finished walking down the road of adding an anemone too early, having it die and screwing up my nice, new reef tank that I spent a lot of money and time on. I would hate to see it happen to another.
    What kind of lights are you running? What are you using for water flow? And you should think about getting more live rock, its crucial to the tanks natural filtration.

2 people like this.
  6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

what he said ;D except his was probably a bit nicer, i dont want to sound mean at all, just trying to tell you your tank will crash and you will most likely be diverted from the hobby, but if you get those things out ASAP you will have averted dissaster, not to mention saving a few lives in the process.

7. shawn8003

shawn8003 Astrea Snail

I can definitely understand the excitement of having a new marine tank. You have to take it slow though. The faster you go, the bigger the crash! I was lucky enough to learn this when my brother set his tank up and bought everything on impulse only to lose a lot of it because his tank was too young. A well learned lesson without the money coming from my own pocket, haha. When you take it slow, it can be very rewarding. In the meantime, just do a lot of research. There is an endless supply of articles and reading which will only benefit you. You can never know too much when it comes to this hobby.

The previous posts hold some good advice.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kamikaze8302

yea i am going to get some more live rocks.

10. kamikaze8302

as for the flow, i have two power jets, a protein simmer, a filtration system with a bio wheel. and i will be adding more rocks it just at the place they did not get their new shipment in due to the weather. the lighting i bought were some bulbs at the pet shop, i do not know what type but its for the marine life and coral. i am looking into getting a mh, just trying to find a good place to purchase it.

11. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

If you add more live rock you will be starting the cycle over again. Get base rock. it is cheaper and in time it will be good live rock. And please get the anemone out for your own sake and his sake. IT WILL DIE.

1 person likes this.
  12. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Welcome to 3reef!

I would take everything back to the store, except the rock. Buy more live rock, you can get great deals online. Be sure you get pre-cured rock. Get at least 50+ pounds. Put the rock in the tank than wait...wait...wait...you get the point.

1 person likes this.