My new GHA CUC on the way...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bmshehan, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Well as some of you know I am battling a bad GHA outbreak right now. Recently I've done some big water changes, replaced my MH bulbs, and am running Rowaphos (reactor stopped working... that will be fixed soon!) Anyway, after dumping in plenty of snails (mostly cerith and nerite) I placed an over-the-top order today... 12 turbos and 1 blue neon spot sea hare. The point of this post was to see what everyone has to say about sea hares. If you have had one, chime in! If not, I've read up a lot about them so don't tell me what google says:p;D! I plan on a loooong acclimation (3-4 hours probably) and I am hoping this specialized GHA crew will be over the top, if so I will be giving away turbos to anyone local here soon;D

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm never had a sea hare but I have considered it. I went the route of a Sally Lightfoot crab and a Lawnmower Blenny to work on my GHA issue. That, carbon and RO water only has started to make a dent. My Sally Lightfoot crabs are insane GHA eaters as is the LMB.

4. bmshehan

I would wrather go the way of a Tang, Foxface or Lawnmower but I recently had a bout with oonidium that wiped out all the fish in my tank. I am letting it sit fishless for a couple months to let the disease die off in my tank, so my CUC needs have grown tremendously without any grazers in there!

5. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Got it, do you know if Sea hares can do ok once they wipe out your GHA problem?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No they often starve. You usually have to trade it to someone. Blue spots, unlike the brown poo looking sea hares release toxins if attacked or starve so make sure you run carbon. If they get scared and ink, you'll want that carbon there too. Any species can ink though.

7. bmshehan

That is why I was scared to get one in the first place. But I am so over this GHA that I feel it is worth a shot. If they clean it all up and I think the end is near for him I will try my darndest to get rid of him! Has anyone ever had this happen?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any boisterous crabs that may poke at the hare as a potential meal?

10. bmshehan

I have 2 hermits and 2 emeralds. They haven't bothered anyone that I know of so far. Man I hope this wasn't a mistake...:-/ I am just at the point where I have done a lot to try and clean this up (btw- the reactor running Rowaphos is going again... bad powerhead was the culprit) and I am over staring at a fishless algae farm! I think it will be alright, we will see though. I plan on taking a lot of pics to see how this crew does.
    So does anyone out there have a hare, had one die, etc??

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've sold tons of them. Actually, to be truthful, I've sold 3 of them over and over and over. They go out 1 inch long....come back 2 inches long. I give them store credit for 75% of the purchase price and then another person comes in. I sell to them. A month or month and half go by and give them store credit on a 3 inch sea hare for 75% of the price. You can see how this goes on and on.

However, I've always preferred the ugly ones as they are much less toxic.

12. bmshehan

Glad to hear! Other than the toxic part anyways. I couldn't find any REALLY good info on them so I asked the guy at the LFS which he preferred and he said they both are about equal but the blue is prettier. So Curt do you think one will live long in my 55? Will it release toxins if it gets hungry or dies?? What safeguards can I use?? Thanks for all the advice!
    Also, how should I add him? Should I net him and do it that way or pick him up?