My new favorite fish! Barnacle Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by schackmel, Nov 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What you see is there head and about a quarter inch of body sticking out . Just like the picture.All day long.;D Unless he sees something to eat then he pops out like a shot. Sometimes he misses his hole on return its really funny.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Little Survivor didn't like his name anymore, so he chose another.... Dead.

Has anyone run across how long these guys live?

1 person likes this.
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

We placed a barnacle blenny in our 125g also. When we put him in I tried guiding him down to the barnacle (even acclimated him with the barnacle) knowing we would not see him unless he stayed in the barnicle that i placed in the front of the tank. Stupid thing shot out of the barnacle into our rocks. Figured would never ever see him. then about 1 month later saw something shoot out of the barnacle and retreated back in. He know was hanging out in the barnacle clear as day. Then this weekend he found a new place to hide, into a base of a coral! very cool to watch!

1 person likes this.
  5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

very cool little fish :)

1 person likes this.
  6. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

I just got my barnacle blenny last night and as soon as I put him into the tank, he went to a back corner of the tank and stayed between the glass and a rock that is almost touching the glass for a few minutes while my yellow-tail damsel was hovering above. So I shined a flash light to try to distract the damsel and the blenny ran back to the back of the tank where it is facing the wall. Will I ever see him? I was told most of the time they end up in front of the tank in a hole where we can see them. Any ideas how to lure him out?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Be patient for a couple of weeks.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

+1 It will take him a little while to find a place to call home.It helps if you put the barnacles close to wherever he is and eventually he will pick one. Then you can move it where you want him.

[​IMG]

Herbie says hello.

10. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

Thanks vinny and inwall. Do I really need barnacles or will he use the holes in the rocks as well?

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's a great pic!!!

12. Vinnyboombatz

I have never had one without barnacles so I really don't know but he will need to find the right size hole that only has one way in . The big advantage of barnacles as I can see it is the ability to move him so you can see him. Once he gets in there you can move him wherever you want even to another tank. I guess what I am saying is no I wouldn't keep one without a barnacle cluster. ;D Good luck and prepare to giggle alot.