My new cuttlefish babies!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by schackmel, Aug 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Since I had an empty tank with Bob the Mantis passing I had to figure out what to put in it....if anything!

I had always wanted to do a cuttlefish tank, so I spoke to the owner of my LFS to find out if he could get me some eggs. I had been doing a lot of research on these things for a while. Well to my surprise yesterday the store called and told me that the eggs had arrived but they had hatched in shipment! ;D There were 6 eggs and 6 hatchlings.

So today I went up there to get them. 1 had passed overnight but I got the other 5. They are tiny, colored very well but look healthy. I had to mod the tank a bit, find live mysis shrimp, make brine shrimp and get a bunch of cheato!

I am acclumating them right now, and then they will go into a net breader for the next month or so! They will not eat for a couple days (other then their egg sac). Survival rate is only about 40% for cuttles this young, and then if they survive they only live about a year in the wild. This is why I wanted to get eggs

They are in a small carry and pour container right now but wanted to get pictures of the babes! The little black things are the egg sacs. I will be modding the tank with a bunch of macros, rearranging rocks and such when they get bigger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

awww congrats on the new little ones!

1 person likes this.
  4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Cool. How big are they?

1 person likes this.
  5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

omg SOO FREAKING COOOOOOOOL I LOOOOOOOOOOVE CUTTLEFISH. like u dont even know, their my absolute favorite (apart from nautilus) omg so jelous. TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES. what species?

1 person likes this.
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Pencil eraser size. (on the end of a pencil, not one of the big pink ones)

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

will do! They are safely set in their breeding net with a hunk of chaeto and their egg sacs.

They seem to be doing well right now...one was even eating an egg so that is a good sign!

Here is a page on cuttles!
    Blue Reef Aquarium. Baby cuttlefish

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Wow congratulations Schackmel
    they look really good

Steve

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh wow Mel that's soooooo cooooool! :D I'm jealous. But now I get to watch your live their cuttly little lives anyways :)

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Quick question...what's the minimum tank size for cuttlefish? My mom asked me today "What's something salty we could do with a ten gallon?" Naturally I said "Mantis!" but I'm just curious about the cuttles :)