My new bubble tip split in three...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hannanReef, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Good luck with the new nems! Have any pics of them??

2. Click Here!

3. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

One week later

Well it has been a week and the three pieces of anemone seem to be mending quite well. Two of them have stayed out and available to the clown, and the third has tucked himself into some rocks, but all seem to have full tentacles on their undisturbed sides... Does anyone have suggestions on feeding them? Should I target feed them? Not sure what else I might be able to do to ensure they all make it.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Small like under 1/3 of an inch or less, of raw seafood ie: shrimp, clams, scallops, fish. You can get any of these at the supermarket.

Once a week to once every 2 weeks until they recover from the split. Take care to remove an undigested pieces and they may not accept it the first go around.

Good Luck.

5. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Dice up some frozen shrimp from grocery and feed a piece (1/4" or smaller) directly to the mouth area. Watch and wait to see if it takes the food. Frozen mysis works good also. Since nems are photosynthetic you'll only need to feed once a week or less depending on your lighting etc. Oh another thing fish are notorious for stealing food from the nem while it is feeding so you may have to cover it while it is new to your tank and learning.;)

6. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

Here is a picture of the two anemones that stayed on the rock together. You can barely see the second one in the bottom right of the photo, but it is because it faces the back wall of the tank.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the BTA before it split...

[​IMG]

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a Rose anenome and it has been in the tank for about 9 months now. I had never bothered to feed it until last week and I fed it 3 days in a roll and it split. I dont believe them splitting is an act of survival it is in my opinion a way to reproduce when there is a great abundance of food. It has nothing to do with survival or keeping a species alive....

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

sorry but this is a wrong answer.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Nems can reproduce asexually, so splitting is not guaranteed a bad thing. I think if they are stressed they move, not split. There are a lot of articles that tend to think that stress wont make them split.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

like i said they can either split because of stress, or because of extremely good enviornment.