My New 65G Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Breed, Feb 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Hey everyone!

I have recently been looking at another fish tank for my room and got osme quotes from the LFS. I put down a deposit a few weeks ago on an Aquavital 980 tank that has been customised for saltwater with a sump, protein skimmer, pump and an inbuilt overflow. Im very excited about it an am already planning what im gunna stock it with. Im going to be able to pay it fully off and pick it up this coming sunday but I have a few questions that id like to ask you guys:

- When i buy it and place it where its going to be suitated, should i buy the LR the same time I get the tank and the mixes for the salt water? Or can i just get say $100 worth and then more later on? (LR is $13.50 a KG)

- How long should i leave it with the LR, Argonite sand to cycle before addign anything? Can i throw a Chroim or 2 in there or will they die?

Thanks for the help!!

Breed

2. Click Here!

3. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Probably best to get the tank set up first with the sand & water then add the rock. That's what I normally do. Don't necessarily have to get all the rock at the same time as well. How long before you add any fish or clean up crews depends on what type of rock you are using - cured or uncured. If cured, I'd wait at least a week for any incidental die off. Uncured is another story. Curing the rock yourself will involve water changes & waiting until the smell goes away. Good luck!