My Naso Tangs dorsal fin is not looking too good.

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by allsmilze, Jan 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

Hey guys, maybe you can help me identify something, I noticed that my Naso tangs dorsal fin is starting to look funny. It almost looks like it was attacked by another fish. At 1st i thought nothing of it but today I noticed it further back. It's like a missing piece, I'm always consistent on my fish' diet, I alternate their diet with flakes, brine & misses shrimp. In addition to that I give them algae everyday. I did however fail to feed them algae for a bit but now I'm providing plenty of algae on a daily bases. I don't have any predators that would attack him in the tank so could this simply be fin rot? If so, what should I do? I thought about putting him in the QT and medicating him with triple sulfa but I don't want to stress him out.. What should I do? any medication suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

This fish is my baby :(
    I had him for a year with no problems kinda grew attached to him..

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please post a picture if possible.

And no other fish is bullying your fish?

Fin rot IMO does not set in unless there is a type of stress and it does not sound that way. Most times it is a secondary bacterial infection that is able to take hold secondary to a primary stress IME.

5. allsmilze

allsmilze Astrea Snail

I can't seem to get a pic of him with his fin open, but no, no other fish are bullying him I have a simple set up with peaceful community of fish.