My Midas Blenny Missing

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by anoush, Nov 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

Greetings all,

I came home last night and noticed that my midas blenny was no where to be found. I have a bad feeling and think that she may have died and the peppermint shrimp and the crabs may have cleaned her off. There are no signs of her anywhere. My PH was very low at around 7.5. I have been bad not monitoring the water levels. Could she have died from the low PH? I am going to my LFS this evening, hoping I can avoid a similar fate for my other fish. Could a peppermint shrimp and a couple of larger hermit crabs eat her clean off so there is nothing left of her?

The only thing that I had noticed a couple of nights earlier was that she kept spitting most of the food she ate. I had just switched to pellets a few weeks ago from flakes.

I also have a rose bubble tip anemone. Is there any possibility he ate her. I did not see any signs of bulging or anything like that.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

everything go's to work on clean up of fish, worms in the sand and rock can also help but the blenny may pop up they can hide very well, ph is to low, you should check all parameters to give you some idea to whats going on. i use a 2 part alk and cal to maintain levels. hope he pops up.

4. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

so you tried feeding and still nothing? Also check around the outside of the tank. Could be a jumper.

5. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm sorry to hear that! After reading that I am going to double check my tank is secure!

6. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

Thank you all for your replies.

I am afraid she must have died suddenly. I have no cats and there was no sign of her in or out of the tank. My LFS told me she could of died from a sudden heart attack. I do see my fish from time to time getting startled and darting back down to hide. My other parameters were okay. I did a 20% water change last night and will test again when I get home. She was really cute and had a great personality. She is in my avatar picture.

7. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

When was the last time you saw it?

8. Click Here!

9. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

I saw it three night ago last. I know all the holes she like hiding in and she was always coming out as soon as I approached the tank :-(

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I would give it at least a week before you presume it dead. Clean up crews are efficient but to completely dispose of an entire carcass in a very short amount of time is a tough assumption. Wait it out...you may be pleasantly surprised.

11. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

:) I really hope you are right. Thanks for your encouraging words.