Urgent My Maroon Clown has bad fins

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PierceEye, Nov 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Hi All

Not sure if you can see this in the pics(silly thing won't stay still long enough), but my Clowns pec fins look like they are being shredded since I put them in the new tank Saturday.
    No new fish, my Sailfin and 2 Green Chromis have been with him since day one. It almost looks like fin rot but see no fungus around the fin area.
    Could it be possible he is stresses and trying to hide in the rocks and that is doing it, yesterday it seemed only the right fin was effected...today I see it on both and even just a little on his tail. I know rock is sharp ad it seems the Sailfin is being a bit bossy and keeps him near the rock he is hiding under. I know that I messed uup there territory in the move.

He has been hiding alot more when was in the 50

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. PierceEye

Any ideas here?

How can I disrupt the bosseness of the Tang....I am almost sure his fns are being torn up on the rocks he is hiding under....never seen a clown with fin rot in a clean tank

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

something harassing him?

5. PierceEye

Its got to be the Tang...If you look in the last 2 pictures you can see the bottom of the Tang over teh top of the Clown.....It is like he is trying to dominate him.....strange thing is the Tang did not do that to him in the 50

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it's probably from the rocks. When my damsel was being harassed by my clown, his fins were always torn up. If they are just tears, they will heal very quickly. My damsel's fins would heal in a day or two. If it is a fungus, I would imagine some visible signs will be presented.

I think over time the Tang will chill out and leave the clown alone (since you just added them to the tank, I think the Tang is trying to show dominance). However, he may not accept the clown and you'll have to remove him from the tank if he's being really hurt or traumatized.

I'd say for now just watch and give it time.

7. PierceEye

Thanks

Now that I have been watching them for a couple hours the Tang is definatley showing his stuff and bullying the Clown

i will wait a few more days....I will keep the Clown over the Tang..