My Macro Tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Took some cool pics of my tank today with my local 'rock weed' in it. I hope it takes hold with the new light.

CHeck it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:) 8)

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Cool looking, Matt!!

I'd say 'plant-wise' you have a few different varieties in there. You definitely have some sort of "sargassum weed." Here's a pic of a bermuda counterpart of what I think you have:
    [​IMG]

And, you also have some of this, I'm fairly certain:

[​IMG]

Let me know if that looks close!! I have more pics of vegetation !!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Kick ass. Thanks Wrassman!
    I don't think I have the 1st one, but the 2nd one is a homerun. I definitely have some strain of that.

You are right, I have more than one kind in there. One kind, which I wish I had a better picture of, is like a cross between an aloe plant and a cactus.

I also got some great hitchers which I hold make it. Lots of squirmies and bugs swimming around now. Some will shoot out from the plants a little ways and then dart back. It's wild to watch.

I also had some kind of barnacles I think. They are tiny and white and have a little feather duster in them that goes in and out. A few didn't take the horsing around and I saw them expel the feather duster.

Thanks man! :)

5. lzb3

lzb3 Astrea Snail

Is there going to be any other SW thingys in this tank.....like maybe a fish?

Looks great, BTW!

Elizabeth

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Look'n good Matt, your a plant guy to the end, eh. Can't wait to see more pics. What's your time line like. How's the PH?

Because your a plant guy you raise some questions, The 10G is started is a challenge not haveing that much LR and no skimmer perhapts the use of some algae would help maintain better water condisions.

Walking through the shallows out in the bay, I see alot of "grasses" but nothing like what you have. Could you recomend anything I should look for that may grow up here that would continue to grow in my tank

Thanks
    J

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey thanks everybody.

No fishes yet, gotta get the tank stabilized first. Then I am going for sea horses. I thought a lot of macros would be good with them.

I'll do some more water tests soon.

Jakets I am not sure what local plants would work since your tank is already going with stuff in it and the heater on. My heater is off and my water is cold. I am going to raise the temp slowly over a period of a couple weeks or so to see if this stuff will make it.

I think you have the right idea though, macros would help with your 10 gallon setup. Maybe some of your local stores will have something that would work. I can't get caulerpa in California. I think it's illegal. Not positive but I remember hearing something like that. I guess they don't want another Mediterranean Sea mess out here.

:)

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looking forward to seeing the progresion Matt.
    Thanks for the info

J

10. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Green, 2, 90%]I think maybe Caulerpa sp. is illegal south of where you are. But, you are so north, Matt, I don't see any Caulerpa sp., except perhaps C. toxifolia, making it in that temperature.

No, I just about have my portfolio of temperate green algaes and other plants growing on the NW coast of California, complete. Are you going to want it or not??[/glow]

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

SUre! I gotta step out, but I'll check for it later....

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i had the sargassam for a while but after a wile it died off from what i found out this is common for that type of capulera doesnt last long in aquariums. hehe with the razor and halmedia i dont need any other plants i cant keep up with those 2