My little 43 Litre

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Sh0ckbyte, May 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sh0ckbyte

Sh0ckbyte Astrea Snail

So it's been a while, and I've been changing things in my little 43 litre tank, slowly but surely. The biggest changes have happened quite recently, and involved the addition of 2.5 Kg of Live Rock, and a Flame Scallop.

[​IMG]

My little Anemone is, I think, a Ritteri, and if so, it might explain his bleaching, and yet, he seems to be doing OK under my relatively weak lighting. Nevertheless, it has been upgraded slightly, by 6 watts, and to half actnic. Now at 28 Watts total for this 44 Litre tank. Two of these are now in the hood originally meant for 2x 11 watt CF bulbs. I'll get a small fan if it seems like these start to overheat, but so far so good.
    [​IMG]

The 2.5 Kg of live rock was in three chunks that the LFS just finished quarantining. (So yes, it is a little risky throwing it in my only salt tank, but I have no isolation tank, nor the space to accomodate one right now) They are beautiful, and seem to have brought me lots of critters, including one that I'm not sure isn't an urchin. Take a look for yourself.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, they're just covered with life,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To answer the immediate question, YES, the increase in live rock did cause an ammonia spike to around 5 ppm. :-[ The fish don't seem bothered, but the Anemone and Flame Scallop seem a little shy at the moment. I've been changing water at the rate of 20 litres daily in two seperated 10 litre batches to take the head off the spikes until things even out again.

More pictures to follow.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Sh0ckbyte

Sh0ckbyte Astrea Snail

Our new Flame Scallop "hanging ten" while searching for his happy spot.
    [​IMG]

My Ocellaris Clown and his Anemone. (probably a Ritteri, not sure... he's bleached since I first got him)
    [​IMG]

The new hiding spot.
    [​IMG]

Full tank view
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nice tank there. I hope your scallop does well.....it's real hard to find food small enough for them to filter feed.

5. Sh0ckbyte

Sh0ckbyte Astrea Snail

Flame Scallop food

How about phytoplankton 0.1-0.2ml per week, spot fed? ;D He seems to be doing ok so far, despite the ammonia spike, and still shimmers when I shine a flashlight on him.

I've been doing this on water change days (well before the change) in the hopes that I don't foul the water too badly. ::)

6. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

I never spot feed my flame scallop and within the last month I even noticed how much hes grown.They are fantastic filter feeders and with the live rock in there he will have plenty to eat. I love watching mine move about the tank. Its rare to see him do it but funny none the less.