My lights just came in!!!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Marty, Feb 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

:-[ Opps...apologies there cuttingras, I always try not to make that assumption and then I go and do it anyway...

Gotcha, thanks. I bumped it down a bit, targeting moving it to 78 over the next 24 hours or so. I'll keep it that way for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Like I said, big time n00b to saltwater (been doing fresh for 25+ years), so trying things, learning, and just acting like a sponge trying to soak up all the great experience you folks have!

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I has odyssea metal halides, but not sure of the brand of the actinics

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I just wanted to chime in on the whole temperature thing. Like it has been said, every system is different and what works for someone might not work for someone else. For example, in the summer months my tank stays around 80-83 with no ill effects. And right now in the cooler months it stays around 75-77. The key there is the constant.

If your temp is a CONSTANT temperature, your livestock will adapt. A 5 or 6 degree difference is seriously no big deal. It's when you go from 75 one day to 85 the next back down to 77 or whatever that it becomes a problem.

Another example is skimming. Sometimes I get lazy and don't run my skimmer for MONTHS at a time (don't ask, hehe). I seriously see no noticeable difference between when I'm running my skimmer versus when I'm not.

My point is you've only had the lights for a day. Yes you will see an increase. I have halides too, almost the same exact fixture you do, but mine is a little bit older model. The bubbles on your rocks will go away and your algae will dissipate. The glass algae though will need to be tended to every other day or so. I've NEVER not had algae grow on my glass, and I've been at this for 6 years.

So calm down, don't sweat the small stuff. Remember, less is more in this hobby. The less you fiddle faddle with everything, the more you will see positive results. I can offer that statement with a lifetime guarantee!

1 person likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Thanks for the sage advice and encouragement.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Dude...no problem....Yep, I'm a girl!;D.... says so on my profile LOL And what guy do you know that would have a pink winking fish on their signature??? :lol:

Thanks Luna :kiss:

7. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Well....there are a few guys that might ;) Honestly, I didn't even notice the purple fish until now. But hey, now I know right? ;D

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

:) :) :) Good luck with the lights...Let me know how they work for ya' in about 6 months! I really want to know the differences you see...TAKE PICS!!!!! document the changes, there will be a few. When I went from pc to T6's there was a difference!

10. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Looked at mine earlier, Actinics are Odyssea as well.

11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Really not happy right now. :( My tank is ridden with bubbles. I think I fixed the heat issue by using 2x4's instead of the short legs I got with the light system.

So many bubbles it's like my fish are playing dodge ball. :(

12. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

hey buddy thanks for posting !!!!

looks like ill be getting the same light system but in the 24"

just ordered from ebay.

im such a sucker. lol