My lights finally arrived! Pictures and a review of the Taotronics LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Vinnyboombatz, May 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I also have this bar and so far one is perfect for my tank,however I am not sure but you will probably want two for SPS. I am sure I could do SPS with one but it will limit were you can place them. I have nothing but good things to say about this fixture so far. Others have reported the fans being noisy but this is hardly the case IME so far.;) Good luck!!

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Thanx man.. : )

what was the sellers name if you don't mind?

4. Vinnyboombatz

dealheroes2011

1 person likes this.
  5. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Led

Ok, so. Need 6 new T5 tubes a MH bulb, sou ds like a good time to upgrade the lights.

I have 30x30x30 cube
    Will 2 of these be ample ?
    I want to add them and make a square out of them in the centre of the tank, will this be ok ?
    Going to look for so,e 18 inch L brackets to hang them.

Is it possible to have too strong/powerful lights ?

I have hammers, fire coral, bubbles, candy canes and a wonderful Cody who is getting huge !

I have an option of spending a little more, is it worth spending more, and what would I get extra ?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would say one will work with proper optics. Check out Reef Breeder's website.

7. Vinnyboombatz

One should be more then enough.;)

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Vinny, I love the look of the light u have, clearly u think it's a great unit, would I still get light to the sand at 30 inches deep ?

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My opinion, not enough. You would need 60 or 80 degree optics on the bulbs.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Good question Ken I should have payed more attention to your dimensions. I guess it really comes down to corals and placement. At 24 inches I was burning LPS on the SB if you look at Jays par numbers they seem pretty strong but he only tested to 24 inches (the depth of his tank).I suppose you could do two but I would make sure they are dimmable. Right now I couldn't imagine two on my tank as everything seems to be doing quite well. Most of my corals are on the periphery and I swear I thought for sure they wouldn't get enough light but so far they are thriving.;) I bought two thinking I would need them but having a backup helps me sleep better. I really probably would have been better off with the dimmable but dimming these leds kinda scared me as it does limit thier lifespan somewhat.Good luck bro let us know what you decide.8)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/my-taotronics-par-results-136136.html#post1363923

12. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Dimming LEDs will increase their lifespan. Running them at lower currents is quite beneficial.