My lights finally arrived! Pictures and a review of the Taotronics LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Vinnyboombatz, May 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

The unit I have is the 140w version made with a different type of LED. It is made for deeper systems, I just did not realize it was really made for the ocean and not an aquarium. lol

2. Click Here!

3. Sloanhaus

Sloanhaus Astrea Snail

I am going to be ordering 3 of these dimmable lights and had a couple of questions.

How happy are you with the lights?
    Are you able to dim the white and blue lights separately? I want my blues to come on first and the whites to come on an hour later.

Thanks,

Sloanhaus

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am very happy with them so far.All my corals look great.While I did not buy the dimmable version there are two seperate plugs which allow the blues and whites to be put on seperate timers.On the dimmable wersion you are able to dim the blues and whites seperately.;) Good luck!!

5. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Who here can give me some guidance on how to convert my fixture to a dimmable fixture. I'm pretty technical and I have a good understanding of electrical systems. I know it will require some suitable power supplies and probably some resistors installed in line with the LEDs, but I could use some guidance on the best method and parts to buy.

I have 24 whites and 24 blues wired separately with their own power supply. They're 3w LEDs and according to the manufacturing specs they're running currently at 2w and they're much too bright even at 2w. I am also considering replacing some of the LEDs with royal blues and a couple of magentas to improve the colors I am getting in my corals. I have the exact specs of the current LEDs so as long as I can find some that can be driven at the same current/voltage it should be easy, right?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. Vinnyboombatz

7. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Done. Thanks for the advice!

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Anytime!!Good luck with it!!;)

10. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Astrea Snail

@Vinny, Now that you are three months into the new lights are you still happy you went with one fixture? I'm contemplating getting one of the dimmable fixtures for a 75g. The tank will be largely softies and a few LPS.

Thanks!

11. Vinnyboombatz

So far one light has been fine on my tank and everything still seems very happy!!;)

12. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Astrea Snail

That's great news! Thank you.