My Leopard wrasse is back!!!!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Daniel521, Apr 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel521

Daniel521 Flamingo Tongue

just about two months ago I added a leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornatus) to my tank in hopes to control the flatworm outbreak I was having in my display. After he became acclimated to my tank he indeed pecked away at the worms until I could only find a few in the sump again. He was working out great, beginning to eat prepared foods and taking the occasional day off to sleep in the sand and not come out.

I was about to leave for a trip to Colorado last month when I noticed he was missing for 3 days. I didn't take much notice as I am used to hearing they disappear from time to time. It wasn't until a week has passed I became concerned. I haven't seen him once on my webcam while I was away and the roommates said they haven't seen him either. I checked behind the tank dozens of times, the sump and even poked around in the sand where he usually retires.

So after 3 weeks passed I assumed he didn't make it and the cleanup crew did their job. that was until tonight, I randomly got the idea to check the overflow and BOOM there he was! Right at the surface begging me to get him out of there. I put my hand a few inches under the water and he literally swam right into it knowing I would get him out. incredible! he's now back in the display eating his heart out.

I couldn't be happier tonight, what a way to end the night!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Great story. And a good lesson to share.

4. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Same thing happened with my mandarin . Lost for about 3 weeks and found it in the overflow doing a waterchange one day. Glad to hear you found it.

5. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I have had a leopard wrasse on order for a couple of months from my local fish store.
    Nothing yet.

Your wrasse looks wonderful

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

7. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

congrats to both of you:)

8. Click Here!

9. Bhadwin

Bhadwin Astrea Snail

Great story and an awesome fish!

10. Daniel521

Back and now addicted to nori...!

After recovering my wrasse from the overflow last month, he has become one of the most social fish in the tank. He's only taken 1 day off to sleep in the sand during daylight in the past month and will now makes it a point to come out and say hi if he see's you walk up to the tank.

I thought he was just being friendly, but I think I've got him figured out now. He's just as bad as a dog, except this fish is begging for a fresh sheet of seaweed. He won't eat pellets, still hunts pods all day, and is addicted to Nori! Literally he will swim around the clip all day and loose his mind picking off one piece at a time. Even when the sheets done he will continue to peck at the little nub stuck in the clip. I'm almost worried he's going to pop after seeing his belly at times.

I'm assuming this is healthy and all, but if I should be concerned please someone chime in.

heres a link from this morning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkWHHV-lwU&feature=youtu.be
    IMG 8577 MOV - YouTube

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

12. Daniel521

Just got back from work, yup he's fat and ready to pop... but still eating non the less!!!

Attached Files: