My LED light I bought from a LFS.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by zesty, Mar 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So, long story short, this is what I currently have as my main lights over my tank. I've been waiting for 6 months for a controller to change the lights channels. I still don't have the controller. :angry:
    Here are the pics. This is my first ever LED light, so I didn't know what to expect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Very interesting fixture. I have never seen one a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) like that. I get the feeling that it is one of the first LED ones out there..... I can't remember the name, but there was a company that went under for some legal stuff....

Hopefully, someone can add more.

4. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

That looks nice, how much was it?

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It would be nice if it worked properly. It's going to take some money to get it a. working to a point I was promised and b. working at 100%, right now there is a flickering problem and a burnt out LED... I have no dimming control, it's on or off...

The guy has flown the coop, store shut down, doesn't answer emails or phone calls or texts. We had previously swapped emails when trying to get everything in order. He just never completed his side of the deal.

Just needed to vent. I wish I would have just bought store brand instead.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hate to be so brutally honest Zesty, but it looks like a really bad DIY job. Got a lot of sloppy soldering, and the J-plugs aren't even fully connected (see pic 2). Should still be fixable, but it may take a bit more work than you expected.

1 person likes this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

You're not the first to tell me, so don't feel bad. I'm working with Reef LED Lights - Reef Aquarium Lighting to help me get this setup upgraded. They convinced me that they could save the fixture, it's just going to cost more money... obviously. haha.

He's having me put on some reflectors to get the lights down to the bottom of the tank. So, he said we can work in waves to get the fixture back up and running. It may be a complete retrofit by the time I'm done. However, they are only an hour away and have a pretty good reputation and use quality components.

life is a fun trip... yeah right! hahahaha

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Glad to hear you've got some pros working on it. Should be a nice fixture when it's done.

Good luck! :)

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Thanks! :)

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I glued some reflectors on last night. I will post some before/after pictures of my tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The before lenses (There is some daylight from the left, arrg)
    [​IMG]
    The after lenses, from the pictures it just looks brighter. In real life there is some better coloration also. I have also raised the lights up to 12" from 6"-7" that was on the before. I built a canopy to hold in light spill and now I don't need it anymore. I know that's pretty obvious to the pros here, but I'm still a newb with all this fun stuff.
    thanks for looking! :)
    [​IMG]