My hydrogen peroxide journal

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SwimsWithFish, Apr 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

I like to read these threads and link the results around to compare with other dosers

it makes for really fast learning

Even though people have known about peroxide dosing for over a decade in sw tanks, a google search will show, I have to wonder why its barely gaining steam

It needs a promulgator lol

I think the number one predictor of whether or not it remains compared to other methods is whether or not it keeps curing tanks, its the only reason I use it. Purely results based

Dskyer the xenias have a 75% chance IMO of dying used as stated

If that's an acceptable loss based on your invader then its worth it. I lost a colony in my vase after a run but its coming back from a small piece of tissue left...

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I'm following along too. Direct application works great for my macro algae problem btw. I only did one rock so far though.

4. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Two questions in your vase its only 1 gallon correct? Being that's I have a higher water volume shouldn't that better my chances?

Second questions being that the Xenia closes at night maybe I should dose then to better my chances even more so?

Does anyone know what hydrogen peroxide has in it that's in the ocean witch makes it have this effect in our tanks that maybe happens naturally in the ocean? Or does everything happen there an where just starting to learn and its a stupid question...

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

H2O2

Two Hydrogens atoms, bound to two Oxygen atoms.

Hydrogen peroxide From Wikipedia,

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is the simplest peroxide (a compound with an oxygen-oxygen single bond). It is also a strong oxidizer. Hydrogen peroxide is a clear liquid, slightly more viscous than water. In dilute solution, it appears colorless. Due to its oxidizing properties, hydrogen peroxide is often used as a bleach or cleaning agent. The oxidizing capacity of hydrogen peroxide is so strong that it is considered a highly reactive oxygen species. Hydrogen peroxide is therefore used as a propellant in rocketry.[1] Organisms also naturally produce hydrogen peroxide as a by-product of oxidative metabolism. Consequently, nearly all living things (specifically, all obligate and facultative aerobes) possess enzymes known as catalyse peroxidases, which harmlessly and catalytically decompose low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen.

It cleans blood off wounds, skin, etc, real well too.

6. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Interesting stuff. I have no idea how it works its just the after pictures are so darn nice!

I agree about the extra gallons, plus i'm using 35% you guys are using 3 i'm surprised my xenia didn't liquify

In my application video a red mushroom is shown taking direct 35% application with no effects except bubbling, back to normal next day. The xenia reports are a collection of what appears across threads

Two things i'm most interested by peroxide in the reef tank:

-what inherent biological character/enzyme exists to create striking tolerance differences among species

-what is the mechanism that makes the target come back less, or not at all, when original tank conditions remain after treatment. There is something about attacking the biomass, before it encroaches further, and this begins to separate nutrient management from pest management

Currently we have been told they are a requisite pair

Notice in the nano reef thread, tanks treated a year ago changing nothing about phosphate management are still under control, I ask for updates from time to time

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. dskyers

8. Click Here!

9. dskyers

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I used H2O2 today, on some aphtasia (sp?), and some sort of green filametous structure, (don't think it was GHA).

These were both really small areas, and not spreading, etc. I could only see them when I looked into the porous rock, very small areas.

I took the rocks out with the culprits and dabbed them with a soaked Q-tip.
    I think it worked! Time will tell, as I said it was a very small area.

11. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Hope you catch little before and after pics!

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sorry Brandon, this was too small to really get a good pic of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.