My hydrogen peroxide journal

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SwimsWithFish, Apr 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'd like to start this journal to share my upcoming experiences with H202 for algae and bacteria removal in my system. I have a biocube 29 with a Dino and Cyanobacteria issue. Tonight will be my first dose. I will be dosing 1mL of 3% H202 per 10g daily. I will update this thread daily with anything I notice.

My tank inhabitants are:
    2 ocelaris clownfish
    1 cherub angel
    1 bangaii cardinal
    1 sexy shrimp
    1 emerald crab
    Various snails and crabs
    Torch coral
    Palythoas
    Mushrooms
    Kenya tree

Thanks guys!

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

First dose of 2ml is in.

4. Toxicc

Toxicc Astrea Snail

following. thanks for the journal!

5. SwimsWithFish

No problem! I'm curious to see how this goes. I'll update this afternoon with what I see.

6. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Could u explain how your dosing assume your just dropping it in? What are you expecting to happen and how long do u think it will take. Just asking so we can compare what we think to what actually happens once your tank is good u know.

7. SwimsWithFish

Well, I measure 2ml in a syringe then I just squeeze it into the water. I'm hoping to eradicate the cyano and Dino within a week or two.:)

8. Click Here!

9. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

This is interesting for the sexy shrimp and the kenya tree, I think I remember one other tank dosing containing a sexy shrimp that was ok but other than that there's not alot of sexy shrimp tanks dosing on our peroxide threads. Same for the kenya tree, it will be helpful to see how they do in your tank. I think a week is a nice prediction time to get a hold of the problems you mentioned, post before pics nothing is better to track an outcome than pix!!
    B

10. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

Good idea starting a thread, tonight will be night three for me. So far my water is super clear (clearest i have ever seen) and all live stock seems unaffected. Algae is also about the same. I did a 10% wc this morning and it seemed that the algae came off a bit easier though. I am excited to see how this works out for you, best of luck and keep us posted! H2O2 may just be the next big thing for this hobby!

11. SwimsWithFish

[​IMG]Thanks guys! Here's a recent pic.

I read somewhere that it doesn't really kill algae, it weakens and loosens it from the rock so that it falls off and dies.

12. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

that tank is not bad at all its very nice~!!~

I must say though, thats a drain and treat just screaming to happen, its way better than a whole tank dosing. It will kill everything in one pass, within 3 days.

If you have a spare hour of elbow grease work available, its way better to drain out the water, leave a few inches for swimming, catch it in a bucket.

spot apply a small amount of peroxide to each patch, the powerhead (which even if you systemically dose should be lifted out and dipped, so much faster) and let it sit for just a minute or so. Then refill with all your old water or at least mix up 50% for a water change which is always, always good for these nanos.

That method is so much faster, w get you the results. a true kill, it will all turn white and die.

If you continue to systemically dose it will still be ok I can tell by looking, just takes longer.

Your tank is not bad though, many would not even recommend you do anything to it other than regular physical removal...nice job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.