my heart sank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chris adams, Apr 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well I got it, the dreaded red bug. Was taking pics with my daughter underwater camera from school(great macro) and looking at pics there they are! Will need to go back and snap alot more pics to see just how bad I am infested. P4208363.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes that beautiful, looks like a Joe, has Red Bugs. Easy easy fix once you get the medications.

If you need assist with the treatment let me know. Basically all crabs (including evil hermits) shrimp need to be removed prior to treatment, some will make it others will not. The medication only targets Arthropods, inverts with an exoskeleton and that molt, all other inverts will not even know you added something to the tank.

chris adams likes this.
  4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Ya Corailline point me in the right direction. Never dealt with them before. Go ahead and give me your recipe!

5. Corailline

Sentinel or Interceptor, it's dog de-wormer you need to either get it on line or from a vet.

Smash pill, mix with display water, use a tad larger dose then recommend for RB treatment. Add to tank wait an hour, do a 10-20% water change and run some new charcoal. (I'll look for dosing amount I have forgotten)

If you go light on the medication and do the water change too soon you'll probably see RB back within 6 months.

Your water clarity will be spectacular after treatment, your pod population will take a HUGE hit (they are arthropods) and you might see a small cyano outbreak a week or so after treatment, I never did. Corals that you thought were healthy will show exaggerated polyp extention, there are thousands of Arthopods that live on our corals and some are parasitic to a certain degree, this medication wipes them all out.

chris adams likes this.
  6. Corailline

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Very easy and safe fix, as she stated.

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

thanks Cheryl and Kevin. Might have some in the house as we have great dane. I did not see it but wife thinks we have some. Either way I can talk to Vet tomorrow.

Guess it is time for me to start using bayer and throw out the RX

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

what a pain trying to get interceptor. No one around me carrying it and vet said they did not want to do sentinel scrip. Called them again today and said they can write scrip for interceptor but 6 months supply. I have to order it then mail it.

I only need 1 freaking pill in totally turning into pain in the BEEEEEEPPPP

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You will have a life time supply if you get a 6 month supply.

12. Corailline

Yup I had the same problem. I believe you can order on line from vendors or distributors in Canada.