MY gorgonian wont open up...

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by BB23, Mar 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

Yeah as said in the title of this thread, my gorgonian wont open up. And its been like this for about a week or more. Im feeding everything regularly and i put in all the supplements (calcium, iodine (every couple weeks), strontium and molybdenum, zooplex, chromaplex, basic stuff) So i've been debating this for days now. Its in a 12 gallon with plenty of live rock, the filter is good. All the nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia levels are good. The lighting is only OK its a 50/50 compact fluorescent (i need to upgrade). But despite the light (which i think would be sufficient for this gorgonian) what can possibly be wrong. Is it the water temperature? Do gorgonians need a specific water temp? I've rambled enough so i'll leave it up for discussion. Thnx so much

peace

BB23

2. Click Here!

3. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

I've had a Gorgo for 8 months that is completely unpredictable.My parameters are fine but my temp has been 30C+ for 3-4 months.Other corals have passed on from the heat but the Gorgo keeps going.Sometimes it goes for days without opening ,other times you can brush against it and it's back out in a minute.How long have you had it?What's the water flow like?I know they like heaps.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

They require lots and lots of flow, if not, they can starve and die from algae build up on them. 90% of them are not photosynthetic which means that basically require a constant "snow" in the water for them to feed. Thats why Gorgonians only live for a short time in a captive system. There are kinds that are phosynthetic, but are hard to come by and not as pretty as the bright colored ones everyone wants.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Take a old or new soft tooth brush and clean it off . Just lightly run the brush up the length of the stalks. What type is it ? As mentioned already if they sense the slightest hint of algae or any build up on them they will not open . But also some mainly open at night or when food is detected in the water. What are you feeding them ? May want to stop putting all the additives into the system . People always o/d the tanks ): And that can cause algaes issues also.

1 person likes this.
  6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Just remember not to USE the toothbrush after you use on your gorgonian!!!

7. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

I'll definetly try the toothbrush thing. The water flow is pretty good actually, i dont think that it would be that but, i could be wrong. I believe its a non-photosynthetic gorgo and i usually feed him brine shrimp or the zooplex and chromaplex or oyster eggs. I guess, in the end, i'll just have to experiment to get him open again. BTW i've had it for about 3 weeks so, yeah this answers sharkatak's quest. too

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Try some rotifiers and Cyclopeseze Its the frozen stuff in a red package ad bar shaped looks like a cool pop :) Also don't overly feed trying to make it open and you may want to test the PO4's and NO3's of the systems water.me

10. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Also don't forget that gorgs are much like leathers which will close up and then slough off old "skin" every now and then. Definitely nothing to worry about as long as the tissue is not decaying away from the rind.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

What kind of Gorgonian do you have? Is it photosynthetic or non-photosynthetic? Gorgonians will retract their polyps from time to time but shouldn't do it continuously for an extended period of time! Is the water flow too strong to your Gorgonian? What about neighboring corals etc. anything causing aggression or stress to your Gorgonian?

12. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

thnx everyone for the suggestions, it just seemed to be a temperature issue. I just bought a new heater for my tank and it opened up fully.

Thanks again

Brad