My "Freshwater X" Inspired Tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by cmontana, Dec 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

Here is a photo and some info about of my first tank:

- 16G Tall tank
    - 3 X 15W 6500K Fluorescent Tubes
    - Rena XP1 Filter
    - Pinpoint PH Monitor
    - Hagen's CO2 Natural Plant System
    - Oscar Enterprises Surface Skimmer
    - Lifeguard Little Time or Temperature Probe
    - Tronic 100W Heater with protective guard
    - 20lbs Eco-Complete substrate + 10lbs Black Tahitian Moon sand
    - 1" Homemade plenum (eggshell diffuser + plastic door screening)

PH: 7
    KH: 5
    GH: 1
    Temp: 75

Originally, this was an Eclipse 1 system. I was unsatisfied with the significant surface disturbance, so I got rid of the filter/hood. The Rena XP1 filter came with a spray bar, which I was able to use vertically to ensure good water movement without messing up the surface too much. The surface skimmer removes any film or debris floating up; it works perfectly and adjust itself to the current water level.

I am also very happy with the PH monitor, which finally gives me a precise read; the test strips are cool, but I just couldn't deal with matching pad colors. Way too subjective. The plants are doing great and most have already dug their roots in the substrate. After a week, they are already sprouting new growth. I am hoping they will fill up the front left part of the tank.

I have been cycling it with a Siamese fighting fish (those are quite hardy) and some Cycle. After 2 weeks, the Amonia and Nitrite have already dropped to 0, which I can only attribute to the fact that Eco-Complete comes with its own bacterial load. But I still want to wait before adding more fish, just to be sure.

Oh, I have been using filtered water. Tap water in my area is super hard and PH bounces back up to 8.4 no matter how much acid buffer you add.

If you have any suggestions or advice, feel free. Thanks for all the info I received from you guys. I will keep you posted.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

AWESOME! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

That's a great layout... nice job. 8)

My only concern is the grassy plant you have spread out on the lower right corner. My experience with that plant wasn't good. I did some research back then and it requires pretty intense light. You may be ok with that substrate feeding it, but keep an eye on it. ;)

4. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

Thanks Matt  ;D

The right forefront plant was sold to me as "Microsword", but I think it could also be Chain Sword. I did hear about its lighting requirement and made sure nothing was casting a shadow on it. So far only a couple of leaves have died off, right after I included it in the tank. I believe it might be due to the trip + acclimatation stress. Otherwise its color has changed from pale green to an intense color. I think its a good sign... I will keep you posted.

Thanks again  :D

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Thats a really nice planted tank there. [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

I never really got into plants didnt know that much about them at the time but what ive seen some of them actually impress me. The closest i had to a planted was a brackish with java ferns.

6. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Nice tank, I tryed to put some plants in my Freshwater tank, but the oscars had other decorating ideas.

7. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

Thanks guys :)

All of my plants started pearling... plenty of tiny lil' bubbles appeared on their leaves. Wooohoooo!
    ;D

And yeah... rumor has it that Oscars like to play "Trading Spaces". I'll just get a few Tetras, a Dwarf Gourami, a Yoyo Loach, and maybe an Amano Shrimp if I get algae...

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

One note on pH.
    If needing to keep pH at 6.0 to 7.0 use PEAT granules or Peat fibers.
    Now that I use RO/DI on all my tanks the FW tanks stay at 5.9 to 6.0 with nothing else added.
    The stuff you buy at the store to drop pH is just a quick fix which I found out that the fluctuation stresses out the fish.

10. cmontana

cmontana Plankton

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Freshwater;num=1071409599;start=0#6 date=12/20/03 at 06:24:20]One note on pH.
    If needing to keep pH at 6.0 to 7.0 use PEAT granules or Peat fibers.
    Now that I use RO/DI on all my tanks the FW tanks stay at 5.9 to 6.0 with nothing else added.
    The stuff you buy at the store to drop pH is just a quick fix which I found out that the fluctuation stresses out the fish.[/quote]

Isn't peat used to make "blackwater", actually darkening the water? I was wondering what the effect would be on plants that require high-intensity lighting...

I used Seachem's Acid Buffer. I made sure not to lower the PH by more than 0.1/day. The fishies are doing fine.

11. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

I cant recall what the plant was called... it might have been Asian Fern... But my neighbor and I were both at the FS and she bought one for her tank and bought me one too...

About a week later we both had fish die... I totalled 18 fish dying and she had 14 die... I wet to teh store and asked her to test my water ad when she said eveythig was fine I then asked why all of my fish were dying... she kidna got flustered and couldnt give me a straight aswer... I later talked to the manager on another visit and he didnt give me money back or anything but I took a list of fish from me ad my neighbor...

I dont know if this was something in the tank at the store but it was a ice plat ad if you ever see it I would suggest a little bit of research before buying ;)