My Fresh Water 30 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I am sorry if this has already been asked & answered. I saw one thread that touched on it, but, unfortunately I lost it while looking for something more pertinent.

I know a 30 gallon can only hold so many fish, especially when one is a parrot. Right now I have the parrot, 3 rosey barbs & a pleco.If I was able to add 2 more fish, & not upset the system, it would be an angel & a pearl gourmais. If I had to choose between the 2, it would be the angel. It would have to be large to hold its own. My parrot is not yet full size, but he is getting there.

So I guess the question is, could my 30 gallon hold somewhat of a community tank ? ( a parrot, 3 rosey barbs, a pleco & ( or ) a large angel / pearl gourmais )

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

Anyone out there with any comments or suggestions ? I would really appreciate them.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what are you using for filtration Oceansurf?

the parrot fish is the biggest concern in the mix there as they do get large and are messy feeders as you must already know

angel fish can also get large (is your 30 gallon a 3 ft long tank?)
    the rosy barbs, gouramis are fine in that size tank IME
    some species of Plecostomus get massive - the sailfin variety, they sell specimens over a foot long for large tanks containing Golden, red, and other arrowana species near where I live

Water parameters are the key in terms of what a tank can hold
    you might find polutant levels ,Nitrates for example, climbing off the charts
    and oxygen deficiency occuring as a result of the demands of the additional fish

in addition fish that live relatively peacefully in less than ideal conditions can suddenly be provoked into aggressive behaviour when space becomes congested

I think you may struggle to maintain harmony and balance in a 30 gallon tank if you add other fish that can reach large sizes

Steve

5. oceansurf

Steve,
    I appreciate your advice & I think it is good advice. You know how it is ? Once you get an aquarium, you want every fish you see to go in it. I've had aquariums for many years. You'd think I would know better. I am going over to my fresh water store in a few minutes & he is going to discuss my aquarium with me. He does not push fish. If he thinks I have reached my limit, he will tell me.

I do test regularly & do a weekly water change vacuuming up the dirt @ the same time. My filter is an aqua clear 300. The tank is 3 feet long.

I expect, if I get anything, it will be a pearl gourmais. I read that you need 2, not just one. I think the angel fish is out.

If my tank is not fully stocked now, it surely will be then. I don't want to create an inbalance of any kind. ( chemically or agression )

Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know how things go.

1 person likes this.
  6. oceansurf

I really have faith in this guy who runs the pet store. He has not steered me wrong yet. He believes ( contrary to popular belief ) that a tank with many fish is much more interesting. It is just picking the right kind. The parrot is not stressed @ all. He just swims about the tank as if nothing was wrong. Last night I got a few more zebras, some additional fish to add to my rosey barbs & 2 small cichlids ( they stay small ). I forget their names, but he said they would hold their own with the parrot & they do. There is no fighting. There is just an "understanding."

He said I have enough room left for a schooling fish. The barbs apparently are not a schooling fish. They just hang around each other.He said the parrot will still be beautiful, but it could shorten its lifespan. Actually he likes to see many parrots together in a large tank. I also got some live plants. It is looking more beautiful each day.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Pearl gouramis are very peaceful fish and may have a problem acclimating with your current inhabitants unless they are already in a tank with more aggressive fish. If you do get them go for ones that are around 3" in length if at all possible.