My Fluvals leak

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Guest, Mar 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hey there, i have had the same three fluval 303s for the past 2 years and in the last year i have had problems with all of them leaking. 2 are leaking at the seal, even though i followed the directions and made sure the seal was wet when securing. The other one has continual problems leaking at the bottom secure point where the hose attaches to the joint, i have recut and even bought new hosing and no matter what, after a few months it starts leaking. Please help me, both me, the fish, and the wooden stand cant take this much longer. I will appreciate any input. Thank you

Andy

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Have you tried using vasoline on the rubber o-rings?
    That should help.

Also when you cut the hose, make sure the cut is straight across.

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Also check the o-rings for any nicks or cracks in it, and check the nipple that the hose goes on for cracks or out of round.

5. andyb

andyb Plankton

hey- i have actually done both of those and still no success, im taking them into a shop tomorrow and they'll look at them. if they find anything i'll let you know. thanks

Andyb

6. andyb

andyb Plankton

how mush vasaline are you talking about? i just put a tiny mount on just to lube it, i dont want it getting into the system. if you think i need more let me know. thanks again

Andyb

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think you can be pretty generous with it. I used to.
    People have been doing it for a long time and I've never heard anything bad come from it.

Curious to hear how they check out at the lfs.

8. Click Here!

9. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

here is the fix for this problem. i had a 303 that did the same thing. so i bought another o ring and replaced it.. same leaking problem. what i did was put the old ring and set in ontop of the "guts" of the fluvol. just lay it down.. it wont even look like it is the same shape. then i put the new one in place and closed. when i ran the fluvol the old oring set at the leaks and stopped it. have had no problems in a year now on my fresh water tank. i open and rinse/change media once a month and have not had to replace anything. not a promise, but works for me.. no more leaks. and i am talking before this i leaked streams of water from seal.

good luck

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Awesome, thanks for the tip, i'll give that a try if the people currently looking at it cant figure it out. thanks again.

andyb