my fish is now blind

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ziggy222, Jul 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

my white tailed dwarf angel last yr had an eyeball get huge and white then it popped and was gone.well now it happened again and it looked like there was a bristle worm in it so i guess thats what did it.anyway,i was wondering if this fish can live blind or if i need to put the poor thing to death.its been blind for about 4 days now and is a little pale and does'nt seem to be eatting as far as i can tell

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
    4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

If it won't eat, it won't live. If it won't eat, time to flush it.

4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Unfortunately dwarf angels are grazing fish, meaning that they like to eat constantly throughout the day by picking at the rocks. However your fish can't see the rock work and also can't see if it crosses into any territories in the tank that another fish may guard. I agree with Bogie a fish that can't eat, can't live. And this poor thing has had 4 days to eat.

One of the most humane ways to euthanize a fish is to put it in a bag with some tank water and put it in the freezer. It is cold-blooded unlike us mammals so it will react differently. Where we would die miserably, the fish's respiration will slow down to the point of sleepiness, then unconsciousness, and finally death. This is actually pretty much how furry family pets are put down (they are overdosed with a horse tranquilizer, ketamin.)

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Physically the breathing and circulation will slow down and yes, they'll slowly die in the freezer. But if it makes you feel any better, I don't think they feel pain the same way humans do. Either way, it's better than starving to death in your tank. Get it out, cause it could get itself stuck behind/inside your rockwork and die there and you'll have to tear the aquascaping down to get the damn fish out, or if it's small enough let you clean up crew take care of the body. It's up to you, but I'd take it out while you still can if I were you.

6. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

I agree with Bogie on that. Get the fish out of there before it dies and pollutes the rest of your tank. I'm a newb here, but that just seems like common sense to me.

7. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

Or, I guess, if you have a small quarantine tank, you could try hand feeding it or use a clip thing (not sure what they're called)

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Or you could teach it to play the piano...

10. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

:LolLolLol

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

omg,now that made me laugh
    .i'll decide tomorrow.thanks for the advice on how to kill it humanely.i think its time to treat the tank for bristleworms again.i guess i'll do that when i move the tank.

12. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Good luck dude. I know it's a tough decision to make.