My fish has Ich.....

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by cj24, Jan 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cj24

cj24 Bristle Worm

I believe that one of my fish has Ich -- what do I do??? One of my fish died yesterday - it seemed like I noticed the whitish film on its side & the next thing I knew, it had died. Now, another one of my fish, which was from the same batch as the fish that died, is starting to show the same signs. Is there something I can buy to put in my water? Will Ich spread to my other fish? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

Are you sure it's ich? It sounds more like marine velvet. Ich appears as small white spots, it can be cured several ways. diet, lowering salinity, cleaner shrimp or medications. I myself would use the first three options. Marine velvet appears as a white flim on the body. Very quickly it will look like the skin is soughing off. You can try a copper based medicine; but the hopes of survial are slim. You need to determine which it is and go from there. GOOD LUCK

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

if you do go copper, remember that it has to be done in a qt tank. not in your dt.

5. cj24

cj24 Bristle Worm

the copper that the fish will be in will not affect the Dt once added back.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

If you want to be technical about it, it could. To be sure, buy a Cu test kit. I've heard people say that the fish can release Cu from ingesting it while being in treatment. And they are probably right to an extent. My common sense tells me that it probably isn't anything significant. I have never seen "rinsing/flushing" as part of any HT protocol. Then again, I'm not the most versed at treating with Cu.