Unresolved my Fish dying from on minut to the next!?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by solomon, Jan 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If the water parameters are testing out okay then the tank is cycled. In the 20 years I have been doing tanks I have never had a tank take months to cycle. I just don't get it when I hear people say that it can take almost a year for a tank to be ready for fish. Obviously, you need to add new fish slowly to avoid going into a mini cycle but that is true no matter how old the tank is. I am betting on aggression as well. Are these fish you have added all from the same source? What does the lfs say about it?

2. Click Here!

3. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

the lps speaks only chines and takes no irresponsibility but the fish that are alive come from the same store and the fish that died ware eating and acting normal right after acclimating but the next day they stop eating and a day later they just die. i am lost in the dark not knowing y they die.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

UMM, I would stop adding fish to your tank until you figure it out! No sense in killing more! Can you take your water to a big lFS and have them test it for everything? Somethings wrong, and until you figure it out, no sense in using fish as a test!

5. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

what kind of testing do u thing i shall ask for?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would too get my fish from a different vendor for starters and then test for stray voltage.

7. christye

christye Plankton

I believe a clown is a damsel-cousin and most (of the non-hybrids at least) are very tough and very hardy. I would go for lots and lots of carbon to try and save the set up. Maybe take the rocks out, rinse very well and try again in a month?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Great point! May as well just buy a grounding probe! Got mine on amazon for $12 shipped i think!

i'd have them test for everything they can! May as well get a second opinion on it!

Then either be happy with what you have or take what you have back to a lfs and start over again! Slowly!

10. solomon

solomon Astrea Snail

If there is any voltage in the tank wouldn't it kill all the fish?

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

no, but i am not sure of the specifics, the cheapest way to test stray voltage is to just stick your hand in the water and if the water stings you when you bring it towards the surface theres a bit of stray voltage, a few of my tanks have had this problem and it would always freak me out when i put my hand in the tank until i figured it out.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

No! the same as you could prob stick a fork in an outlet and be fine, well kinda, but keep that fork in the outlet and attached to you, how long ya gonna last? but $12 is a small price to pay to make sure it doesn't kill your livestock!