My fish are sick.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by mrsavage84, Apr 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

OK so here is the deal I got this fish tank from a great lady and everything was fine for the 4 months i had it until....i added two black mollies that I got from petco. Both those fish looked great in the tank at the store and thought they would be a great addition in my tank. Kinda like ninjas of the fresh water world.
    Two days later i look in the tank and noticed that one of them looked terrible. Sunk in stomach and almost looked like his body was coming apart. He's died that night. Over the course of the next couple days I had a clown loach pass over night. So I went to the lfs with my loach and they said I should treat for ick. I have done 5 days of treatment and two water changes, tested my water and all my numbers look good but many dragon goby is still looking like crap. And now my angel fishand a couple others have blood shot eyes. What the crap is going on. I won't want all my fish to die. Anyone have some words of wisdom.

Sorry for the story but I'm just worried about them.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't know what to tell you. You haven't described ICH at all, but the LFS said to treat for it. Do you have any pics? This could really help out in the situation. Also, what do you have in the tank?

4. mrsavage84

no, no pics. my dragon goby is the only fish in my tank that looks like they are sick other then the red eyes of my two angles and my gourami(sp) the fins on my goby look like they are tattered and more transparent then usual and his belly is sunken in a little bit. I have 3 tertas 2 angels 2 cory cats 3 mollies the goby a gourami and a little freshwater puffer

5. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Reading this and your first post

That puffer stands out to me... Ive had them before in my fresh water and brackish tanks and there very aggressive to the point other fish will starve off
    Also you say tattered fins and my guess would be that little puffer is tearing him up..

6. mrsavage84

my little puffer is actually a pretty cool cat and he gets along will all of the fish in my tank. during feedings he eats what he can get and so does everyone else. but now that you mention that i haven't really seen the goby eat cause he mostly stays on the bottom of the tank.... could he just be starving?? if so im sooo lost about what is going on bacteria/sickness wise and why im having fishy fatalities. it has to be something i just don't want to keep treating for things, doesnt that stress out the fish?

i posted a pic of the red eye and just cause i like him, my puffer. hes just a little guy

Attached Files:

7. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Just trying to be honest theses little spotted green/ figure 8 puffers will eventually kill every thing in you tank I swear that much to you and if you fish have torn fins I am willing to bet you it's that puffer they attack them in the dark the day when ever
    I had one in a tetra tank and he wipped out over half my fish before I cought on.

You might have some water quality issue and I'd get a fresh water test kit and check everything out too .

I'm not trying to down you or anything But just being honest,
    Also read this it apply to that fish
    A Profile of The Figure Eight Puffer - Tetraodon biocellatus

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

And yes spotted green puffers and figur 8s are of the same species just a FYI

10. mrsavage84

i absolutely appreciate the advice kind sir lol this is what im here for is to get advice from peeps that have done this before. so dont feel bad for telling be what you know.

the only reason i know he is okay is he has been in the tank for a month and a half and only after i bought that fish from pecto did fish start dying.

as of the testing. i did all my test last night and all the numbers are right on.

11. mrsavage84

great article btw. i will most definitely keep an eye on the the other fish as i have been doing but know i know they they can actually turn on the other fish in the tank. thank you :)

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Did you notice if any other fish picked at the molly after it died? There are internal diseases that can be contracted that way. I had the very same thing happen to one of my FW tanks once.