my first time trying hyposalinity

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by KOgle, Jan 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Well after losing multiple fish in the past month due to ich (well not really ich since marine fish don't get ich) crypto something anyhow, I'm catching all of my remaining fish this weekend and putting them into QT. I'm going to slowly lower the salinity down to 1.009 and keep them in there for a month or so. Hopefully not having any fish in the display and running UV on the display will rid it off crypto as well. I know it needs a host fish to survive so I'm taking this away. I also know it can't reproduce in salinity below 1.010 so I'm doing this in the QT tank.

Wish me luck all....

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Good luck, I have used the low salinity method in the past quoit a few times with great results back when I had fish only tanks.

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Thanks, my only real fear is not getting it all out of the display even without there being fish in there for 4-8 weeks.

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

All you can do at this point is try! Good luck buddy...

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Yep, I'm dreading catching that six line...

7. Snowby

Snowby Astrea Snail

Yes, Good luck. I have had success with hyposalinity also. Really scary though. I know a lot of folks on the forum believe in good params, no problems. Well I believe in this also but when things happen we need to find a reasonable way to step in. How do you feel you acquired the crypto to begin with? Some will say it is always in the tank laying dormont. I have read varying stories. Maybe someone can chime in with some true biological science on this. Good luck to you and your fish..

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I have no clue how it got in the tank. I've never QT'd fish so I'm sure this is how it got in there.

I have a QT tank now so nothing new will go in the display without hanging out in QT for at least 4 weeks.

10. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

It is safe to immediately introduce the fish to hyposaline water. As long as the temp and other conditions are equal, the fish will be fine and any parasite will have no chance to equilibrate.

It is not safe to place fish in water with much higher salinity without acclimation. You are going to have to take at least a week (2-3 would be better) to slowly raise the salinity.

Just trying to give a word of warning. I hope it helps. Good Luck! I am all for trying anything that does not involve unnecessary chemicals. K+

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If you are going to QT them then why hypo, why not copper or other med? Hypo will NOT work if it is amyloodinium as compared to ick. Acriflavin or copper would be your best bet.
    Also, the ick not surviving without a host has been discredited, Dr. Delbeek has written a few articles about how ick will go dormant if you remove all fish, only to reamerge once the fish are added. It is true that ick can only live 45 days or so w/o a host BUT thats if it doesn't go dormant, which it WILL if you take out the fish. If you want the ick to stay "awake" and die after the 45 days you need to "trick" it into thinking there IS a host in the tank. To accomplish this, take a few cups of water from the QT everyday and add to the DT. This will contain pheremones and other triggers that will make the ick think that there are fish in the tank preventing it from going dormant. You need to do THIS for 45-60 days to erradicate ick the safe and "natural" way.
    Also make sure that the UV bulb is at peak perfomance meaning the bulb isn't old, quartz sleeve is clean and that the flow rate is optimal.

Good luck and keep us informed!

12. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

So I can put the fish in QT and lower the salinity over the course of a day or two?

Wouldn't adding water from the QT tank get chemicals and ich back into the main tank? Also will UV kill ich in it's dormant stage?
    And what the heck is amyloodinium?