My First tank readings!! They seem to be OK

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Chris Jones, May 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

well i just got my Hanna pH probe, my Test kit and Skimmer (urchin) from CAPTIVE REEF.COM (thank you very much Darin) and my Blue premium Refractometer from PREMIMUM AQUATICS (Thanks a bunch too!!) and here are my results after the tank has been running for 3 weeks:

Temp- 81-82
    Salinity- 1.018
    pH- 8.13 (meter) 8.15 (test)
    Ammonia- free- <.05, Total- 0.0
    Nitrite- <.05
    Alk- 4 meq/L
    these seem within range of most normal readings I've read, how do these look to you pros, and what corrections should i make?????
    I plan to get some crabs and snails and a couple of shrimps on tuesday.
    thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Where is the calcium test?
    alk is a tad high but good.
    the main concern I see is the low salinity.
    Next time you mix salt up make it stronger, say 1.027 and is will equal out soon. shoot for 1.025
    pH is a tad low but after the cal test we will see whats going on here. what time of day did you test the pH? it is higher in evening and low in the mornings.

4. Chris Jones

oops! Ca is 450. and i took all readings in the evening. you are right, i took pH this morning and it was at 7.8 or 7.9. I added last night a dose of B-Ionic Calcium buffer system parts A and B. this morning Ca is still 450, but pH is somewhat lower. I bought Reef Crystals to make up salt water but it does not give even an approximation of how much per gallon to use for a near 1.026. i guess they want me to make the whole thing. any suggestions are helpful thanks Dave.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Personally I don't like reef crystals but ....
    Since the cal is normal and the alk is darn close I would keep adding the B-Ionic and keep readings as they are and the tank will balance by it's self.
    You could add some kalk once a week.
    Look under the Chemistry threads and posted with sticky notes at the top are several topics from RHF that will help with anything that comes up.
    This is alot of reading but the are under different topics so please check them out.

6. Chris Jones

Thanks Dave, I'm gonna just keep with the B-ionic and mix ( to taste, LOL) the sea water and test and add, and test, and add (taking notes of course, so I don't have to do it again) to a 1.027 to raise the SG. I appreciate your insight.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a question. What does SG stand for? I think the s is salinity but whats the g? I don't understand!

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Specific Gravity

"
    Salinity is a measure of the total amount of dissolved salts in seawater. It is measured in parts per thousand (ppt or 0/00). The average salinity of the ocean is around 34 to 37 ppt. Marine aquariums are also measured in specific gravity. Specific gravity may be defined as the ratio of the density of the liquid to the density of water. Since density of liquid varies with temperature, so does specific gravity. It has been determined that liquids with a specific gravity less than 1 are lighter than water; those greater than 1 are heavier than water. The specific gravity of seawater at 35 ppt is 1.026. "

John

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Welll how do I lower the SG level? Or how do I raise the SG level?

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

You raise the SG by adding salt, you lower the SG by removing Saltwater and adding fresh water

John