My First tank - Did the LFS mislead me?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SammyP, Dec 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SammyP

SammyP Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well as I have been posting on different threads and reading other help threads, I have come to realize two things…
    1. I have no clue what I’m doing
    2. Never trust the LFS
    Hers my story,
    I bought a beautiful Fluval Edge 6Gal tank because the LFS guy said it could be easily turned into a “Nano SW tank.” I didn’t realize that Nano tanks were still a pretty new concept and I didn’t realize that I was thrown into an expert’s world; while I am still learning how things even work.

So as I said I purchased a 6Gal Fluval Edge. With it I also bought a 7lb piece of live rock and 11lbs of live sand. (this was all recommended by my lfs)

He said my tank would 4 weeks to cycle but bring a sample around 3 weeks. At about 3.5-4 weeks I brought my sample in and he said I was ok to start adding fish. In my Excitement I picked out 4 damsels (2 striped 2 domino) and 3 snails, 4 days later, my domino fish turned white and died. This happened on Nov 13th. So I took a water sample in and he started to explain nitrites and nitrates and that my nitrites were off the charts, I remember the tube test was purple (light blue is good), So he said let everything sit for a week or so and bring in another sample. The sample was good and he said it was of if I bought another Damsel so I bought another Domino, which one only lasted 2-3 days as well then they died. On Nov 22 One if the original 3 striped Damsel fish passed away and on the 25 the last Damsel I had in the tank died. All three of the last fish dies when my water was testing healthy. I let the tank sit with no fish in it for a couple days, and then just the other day I bought 2 more Domino Damsels, one died the next day and the other died last night (he lasted 3 days)

The only thing iv left out of the above is that my GF surprised me with a Cleaner Shrimp and a Hermit Crab but not sure exactly where on the time line they fit into. On a Good note my Cleaner Shrimp came into play sometime when my 2 striped damsels were the only fish in tank and they are fine.

So I know I’m still extremely new to everything, but I’m doing everything the guys at Petland are telling me to do but everything that goes into my tank dies, I need some help my tank is now 6 weeks and 1 day old.

I would love to hear some feed back – please help!!

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Oxygen source? skimmer or air stone?

To start with don't buy any more Damsels, they need more than 6 gallons.

Try 1 watchman goby, they are hardy and like to chill in one spot.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well as I am sure you have already figured out getting good advice from Petland while not imposible is extremely rare. I realise you have already purchased the tank so I guess the only way to help you is maybe you could turn it into a FW tank? That 6 gal. is way too small for one Damsel let alone three or four with a shrimp. The only way you are gonna succeed and even that is iffy is to do corals only and maybe one shrimp or very small fish.. The main problem with tanks of that size is keeping your water parameters steady. Sorry for the bad news.:cry:

5. SammyP

WhiskyTango Oxygen source? skimmer or air stone?

What are you asking about? Are you referring to my live rock?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i feel your pain with the nanoo thing. first tank was an 8 gal and i was like :-/ but i got it for free. i think 1 damsel alone needs way more then 6 even a watchman wouldnt be too happy in a 6 maybe a clown goby, i would wait to add any fish until Ammonia reaches 0 and nitrates reach 0. alot of the time the LFS will tell you things, sometimes its true but alot of the time they are just in it for the money. Do you have lights? filter? basic equipment?

7. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

first off, id start by changing to a different store...second id go down to 1 fish...6gal is small for that many fish(especially when the minimum recommended tank size for domino's is 30gal) that might be your problem right there

8. Click Here!

9. SammyP

Venny - I'v seen threads on this site where people have smaller tanks? And the ones at petland that they keep their SW fish in are about the same size, I'm fine with only having a couple corals or 1-3 fish, I live in a small apartment this tanks is good for me, I just don't see what I'm doing wrong. The parameters seem to be consistent. Could overfeeding/underfeeding be my demise?

10. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

unfortunatley its not that easy, problem is to many fish that require to big a tank...watchmen goby have a good little personality and are extremely hardy!

11. WhiskyTango

Oh boy, If got you don't know and don't have either I'm pretty sure low oxygen is causing these deaths.

Google "mini protein skimmer for nano" they remove wastes and oxygenate your tank at the same time.

12. WhiskyTango