My First Tank! 29 gal BioCube

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Hoopastank, Jul 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

My First Tank

This is my first tank. A 29 gal BioCube, that was given to me by my brother in law. I have had it cycling for 3 days so far the water is crystal clear. I will be getting my test kit tomorrow. I just put in the thermometer reading at 77.2. cold at the moment as i don't have lights for it yet, getting that this weekend too.

Tell me what your thoughts are on the aquascape so far!

tankweek1.JPG temp.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's an excellent start. There is hundreds of threads on the internet about BioCubes, you'll not be at a loss for inspiration and information.

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Good start!
    I have the same tank.

5. Hoopastank

Thanks! What brand of light do you use or what can you suggest? I am really at a loss on which one to get. I have read T5 are good, then LED are the way to go? I see by your signature you have an LED?

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

RapidLED makes a retrofit kit for the biocube

7. Hoopastank

Thanks for that info! Unfortunately I don't have the hood. Brother in law kept it! ... He gave me all the rest of the stuff. So I can't complain!

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look at the AI Prime.

NU-2reef likes this.
  10. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Hey Hoop, looks great!

What do you plan on keeping in the tank? You are going to see a ton of opinions on t5 vs Led. They each have their pros and cons. I initially had t5, then went led and finally settled on a combo. Best of both worlds imo! I'm a big fan of kessils. My tank is SPS dominant.

Oh and I keep my tank temp fairly close to 77.5 most of the year with it getting a bit warmer in the summer. Like everything else, lots of opinions on that too.

11. Hoopastank

Thanks! For fish i am going to start with some Clown fish, and eventully get a Hawk Fish (Pixy Hawk). I really like zoas and LPS. The tank right now has no lighting so i would image that it would warm up when i get the light. I found this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_...xtures-Current_USA-CU04100-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

Farily inexpensive, it is programable, and has decent review on MarineDepot. Going to do a little more research on it though. I did like the Kessiel also, but i think a little out of my price range at the moment.

12. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Welcome:)

Do you have a heater in the tank?

I ran a tank with t5ho's and had no issue with heat and my corals were great, i had no hood.

I chose LED for my newest tank for the hydro costs and not having to replace bulbs every 6 months. That can get costly.

Have fun, go slow, and the tank is looking good already:)