My first saltwater tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by adamSpline, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adamSpline

adamSpline Plankton

Hi all,

Just thought I would pass on the news that I just setup my first saltwater tank. I setup a 10 gallon (I know this will be tricky). But I thought I would just go for it and see what happens. This is more of an experiment, but I do hope it will work out (I have been successful at many freshwater tanks)

I already had most of the equipment I am using (tank and filter - cascade 80), and most of the rest of the setup I just got from the ocean - ocean water, sand off the bottom, and little rocks. I live in south Florida, so I just swam out about 60 feet to get the stuff.

I got a bunch of little hitchhikers with the sand and rocks, lets hope they are helpful.

Since all the parameters were pretty good right after I got the stuff from the ocean, so I added two little snails, a little hermit crab (both recommended by the fish store), and a blue damsel with a yellow tail.

I had difficulty finding info about cycling a tank that is made from all natural materials, so I just decided to add the one fish right away ( I hope this will be ok).

It has been about 36 hours and everyone is still alive and kicking. The fish is very shy, and likes to spend most of his time behind the rocks (is this typical for adding a new damsel to a tank). But he is eating (which is great), and slowing getting more adventurous with coming out of his hiding places (but still flees if he sees me).

Unfortunately, I do not have a digital camera, so I can not share pics of the tank.

A few questions:

1) The filter I have does not agitate the water very much, so I am concerned about there not being enough oxygen in the water. Can I use an air stone to add more oxygen?

2) Currently the water parameters are still ok. Should I just let it be as long as the parameters are good, or do you suggest a partial water change soon. And if so, how much. (I did buy some instant ocean stuff and a salt gauge, so I can do water changes).

3) also, any general tips or critiques on my setup would be great.

Thanks everyone.

-Adam

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>> Tha answer to number 1 is to space you hob filter up somehow so it makes more of a waterfall action going into the tank. I use hard rubber tubing.... This helps eliminate surface scum and helps with flow... I would still look into a extra powerhead for flow....

4. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

Just get a kolaria nano. They are awesome, and would work very well for your tank. Try to get a pic, I want to see some "real" live sand and what hitchikers you got. :)

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Howdy! and welcome to 3Reef

6. IndianOutlaw

IndianOutlaw Bristle Worm

Welcome to 3reef and wohoo another south floridian

7. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Welcome. Now let's see those hitchhikers.;D

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Good luck, and hopefully we can see some pics in the future. Pretty please :)

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sounds like a worthy experiment. Pics Pics Pics please please please.

1 person likes this.
  11. adamSpline

adamSpline Plankton

Hi all,

Thanks for your nice comments. And I will definitely be posting some pics soon (have to borrow a digital camera). Its just a common little damsel, but everyone starts some where! And I have to say that this common little saltwater fish would be a show fish if it were freshwater. So, I am really enjoying watching his interactions in the tank. I will also to try get some pics of the hitchhikers. I have a little worm thing, and a tiny larva critter that clings to the side. Along with what looks like little plankton type things floating around every once and a while. They are all really tiny. -Adam