My first Ich Attack

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Godbert, May 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

so one of my clowns has ich..... ive been feeding him, hes in a seperate tank, did a fw dip for 5 and ten mins, anything else i can do?

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Godbert,
    You didn't mention any particular treatment, eg, copper, or any of the myriads of treatments out there. I'm not sure if a QT tank alone will rid the Ich.

As far as I know you need to treat with something.

There are many threads here on the topic.

\Good Luck

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

A Neon Goby would clean him up, Feed with garlic, keep the lights off in the tank where he's at.

5. Godbert

ive got the garlic, hes in a reef tank however so lights off would probably be a no go right?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I always recommend to turn off the light(when possible) b/c it reduces the stress on the fish, which reduces the ick.

7. Godbert

the lights are set up so the nightlights are on then the blue actrinics come on for about a half hour then the mhs come on is that too stressful? i thought that this way was supposed to reduce/eliminate stress of lighting

8. Click Here!

9. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

I'd also invest in a cleaner shrimp and/or a cleaner wrasse. These are the only things I normally by at the LFS and I make sure that both of them are actually cleaning fish in the tanks that house them. Problem I have with them is that they don't seem to last for more then a few months after the ick is gone. Cleaner wrasse I can never seem to get them to eat if I get them to clean.

Might return them for creidt after a month or two.

Don't use copper if that is a reef tank, but clowns are usually the last to get ick so I'd make sure that is what it is. Also my experience with the freshwater dips and ick is that it only seems to slow it down, still need to get it out of the tank.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yes, but not on the QT. You said that you took out the fish that had ick, right?

11. Godbert

he is in his own tank and i believe he got it because he is an idiot and got a cut on his nose from swimming into my frag holding cup, looked for a cleaner shrimp but they were out of em today:cry:

12. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Just like us laying around in our unlit rooms watching our tanks.;D

It's just things/nature slows down a bit at night(in the dark) so it is less stressful.