My first coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Scuba, Nov 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I now have my first coral, it is a Flower Pot Coral, it was sold to me as a good starter coral, I am feeding it DT and Reef Sulotion alternating every thred day.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Scuba Don't take this as fact but I think that a Flowerpot coral is not a coral for a beginner I do believe it is a expert only coral but I may be wrong so as I said don't take this as true until you here it from someone with a little more experience with coral than I have............ John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Errr, ummm, I have heard the same.....that they do well for a time and then take a dive....hmmm...Good Luck! I hope it is an exception and does well for you!! ;D

But of course, I am no coral guru either! Craig??? Gresham????

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Flowerpot corals (goniopora) do not do well in our tanks because the water is too "clean". They are usually found in nutrient rich lagoons so unless you take great care to make sure that the coral is very well fed, it will most likely die in a few months time.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Bummer Scuba, who told you that coral was a good beginner? Bad advice for sure. Good luck I hope you are successful.

7. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

:huh:A LFS in St. Charles, Mo.

8. Click Here!

9. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Remember that Star Wars phrase by Kenobi "That is true. From a certain point of view"

Survival wise this is ranked as one of the poorest. Defintely not for beginners. Ammcarrig makes an excellent point --- if this were placed in a well fed tank it might survive. A lagoon style. In the time I took up reefing, I have had four of these and all died. Longest survival was six months. And you watch it out because when it goes it will pollute the tank. But....

Strange though. Over a year ago, around late October 2003 I bought a LR with small goniopora growing. I expected it to die. It disappeared and I inverted the rock. Aquascaping about three months ago I again inverted the same rock. A week ago I find there in the two sections where the gonis died flouresent bulbs which turn out now clearly as goniopora stalks growing. After a year! Amazing these creatures are?!?!?

So much we do not know, eh?

(man I type too much...sorry)

10. Craig Manoukian

11. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

thanks. still makes me wonder craig. dead in a year and still there? strange and wonderful, eh?

12. Craig Manoukian

God's nature is so awesome!