My Favorite Expert-Only Fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Wrassman, Jun 23, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Black, 6, 99%]I'm so glad that everone liked the Tamarin, they are one of my favorite fish. But, I don't want this Forum to become "Wrassman's Favorite Expert-Only Fish." So, I'm going to ask you to fill out this thread with "expert-only" fish of your own; don't worry about writing up the article, I'll do that. Just provide me with a list of very difficult, but beautiful fish to keep in a reef or FOWLR tank.

Can you do that for me? I knew that you could...
    [/glow]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Pterosynchiropus splendidus or the mandarin Goby. I have never owned one, I've never had a tank long enough to sustain it food source. I feel this is an expert only fish because of it's dietary needs. Only eating copods means it requires a established tank that has a population of copods that can be maintained.
    The amazing colouration of the Goby makes it an attractive fish to most new comers to the hobby and the fact that most LFS carry many Mandarins at a time, helps in attracting many to the hobby but if you start with a Mandarin you'll probably finish with that Mandarin

Wrass please feel free to edit or delete if you feel this is not what you had in mind

Jason

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good thread Wrassman!

I always wanted a school of Moorish Idols.
    I have heard they don't do well in capitivity though.
    At the very least, I bet you need a big tank!

:)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What about ye old Leopard Wrasse?

6. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 2, 80%]So far I have:

Mandarin Gobies
    Moorish Idols
    Leopard Wrasses

Now, I could pick one of these for sure and go with it, but just to make it interesting, why don't we make it a poll? I'll just stick the poll out in The Bucket, so it doesn't take up space in these Advanced areas. [smiley=smug.gif][/glow]

7. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

achille's tang. i am absolutely in love with this fish!!! maybe flashlight fish? good idea wrassman!

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

well my mandarin is probably the most difficult. but my tank was up over a year before i got him and i did get lucky with mine he likes brine shrimp, krill (small pieces) and stuff like that. i have the scooter also which most people dont realize that they have the same dietary needs as the mandarin so i would say there close in difficulty but he to eats the frozen foods i got really lucky i guess.

10. tankgirl

tankgirl Plankton

Gotta put Cleaner Wrasses in this thread. Dietary needs are similar to mandarins; tons of pods. Anyone kept them?

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have a scooter in my tank also he's been in there for a long time when I got him he was so thin but now he has fattened up looks good! He got alot more reddish color in his fins. I have never seen this fish eat anything I put into the tank. He constantly pecks at the sand, rocks, everything!

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The Mandarin Goby, Cleaner Wrasse, and Scooter Blenny all require sufficient amphipod and copepod populations for them to survive in a tank. This requires a tank of sufficient size and maturity with a healthy substrate and live rock. Tanks greater than 100 gallons are recommended along with two years of maturation prior to adding these fish. A refugium will greatly enhance the ability of your system to provide the forage food necessary to keep them alive long-term.

If you aren't lucky enough, as in the case of Karla's Mandarin, to find an animal that will eat other foods, it is probably best not to have one in your tank unless you can provide the above described environment. Make sure they are eating foods offered by the LFS prior to purchasing and shy away from on-line wholesalers because you can't observe their behavior.