My Duncans Won't Come Out

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Weir_Head, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

About maybe 2 and a half weeks ago my Duncan coral fell over face first into the sand, I assume a snail's doing.

I saw it down there, but was on my way out, so I didn't want to go in. I picked it up about 4-5 hours later.

I tried to put it in the exact same spot, but I'm not sure if I did, and now it's just not coming out at all.
    Hasn't really come out in like 14-17 days I'd bet.
    There's little pieces that are sticking out, but there's probably close to 20 heads that were fully out before this happened.

Anything I can do? Is it still fine, or did 1 little far really damage it?

This is what it's looking like
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you feeding it? If not I would.

I would also check all parameters including SG. I know that are sensitive when the fall but that looks like a lot of damage.

4. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

The Salinity is where it usually is, 1.027 I actually don't really target feed it, but I feed my Rod's Food, Mysis in that area and it seems like it gets what it needs.

I also put Phytoplankton mix, whatever that green stuff from "DT's" in once or twice a week.

5. Corailline

I target feed mine with Rods, they grow faster if you feed them, might help it heal faster.

And if you are using a hydrometer to measure that SG I would double check it. I can tell my SG almost just by looking at my duncan. If it's not extended as much the SG is usually on the high end.

6. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I'm using a Refractometer, but I'll double check it.

7. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mine did the same thing. Mine have also do that whenever they get bumped or pissed off by a snail or hermit. They are just cranky corals. Give them time and they should come out. I had some stay closed up for almost a month only popping out for a minute or two a day. They eventually fully expanded out. Just needed time. However make sure your parameters are all good and most importantly stable. A sudden change in one of the parameters can make duncans close up for sure. Salinity may be a tad high for them as well at 1.027. I would target feed them too. Duncans love mysis and chunks of shrimp to munch on. These are very hardy and forgiving corals however they need a stable environment even if the parameters arent absolutely perfect. good luck though!

8. Click Here!

9. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Well, I think I might have found one problem. My salinity is a tad too high, like 1.031 :-/

So I'm putting some R/O in there slowly in the next 2-3 hours

I hadn't calibrated the refractometer in a while I guess, so it was reading 1.027 I guess a bit high, but then I calibrated it and it jumped up a bit.

no other coral looks any different though, just the Duncan.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. Corailline

Duncans will tell you every time if your SG is too high. I am sure adjusting that will make a huge difference.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree with Cheryl here. I've seen certain corals that tolerate a wide range of temperatures and salinities. On the other hand, I've noted that Duncans like 1.025~1.026.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I hope decreasing the salinity helps out your duncans! Let us know.