My DIY Fuge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Michaelr5, Sep 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Please look at my Fuge layout and let me know if you see any glaring problems with the design. My contstraints were:

1. 29G standard glass aquarium to work with.
    2. My stand has an open center area, thus the fuge area is visble and the hardware will be behind a closed door.
    3. The foot print areas of my skimmer and return pump had to be accounted for.
    4. Common maintenance items up front ( the media tower and the Skimmer )

The planned flow is input to top of media tower, exit the bottom into skimmer area. The skimmer will empty into the Fuge, allong with the rest of the input water. An adjustable gate (not shown) between the input and output sump will allow part of the input to pass straight to the sump to adjust flow through the fuge. The blue line at the left side is eggcrate to pass from front to back of the fuge. Exit fuge through bubble trap to sump and back to tank. Top off system (still in design) will sit above the bubble trap area to feed water/kalk as needed.

[​IMG]

Comments, critique welcome, please I want other eyes to look before I start cutting expensive acrylic ;D

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looks nice, but why is the refugium area divided?

4. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

awesome cant wait to see it in action... my new sump is so wide that im now thinking maybe i should go with a more complex idea. but i duno i like sticking to simple. Great JOB! how do i post pics in a thread??

5. Michaelr5

I thought that having the water flow a longer channel would give more time for the algae to work. Otherwise the water would just flow from in to out and leave dead areas at the left end.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So you are tying to slow the flow? Nice idea. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Hit the 'manage attachments' button below the message box to upload some into thread or use the insert image button - [​IMG] - above the message box to put in a URL. You can use this for some that you have uploaded to the gallery. OFten it's better to go this route for quick reference - simply going to your gallery - rather than digging through threads.

7. Michaelr5

Not necessarily trying to slow the flow as much as getting an even flow in the entire fuge area. I figured it was either channel it like I did, or put a powerhead in the fuge to circulate it.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Look forward to seeing it. When are you going to build it?

10. Michaelr5

The first cuts will be tonight (if I can get my wife's cabinets painted, Honeydo comes first!). Hope to have it mostly constructed this weekend. Pics will definitly be coming soon! ;D

11. Michaelr5

Well guys, I actually got to it! ;D Here's what I've accomplished so far My Gallery . I guess the next step is to let the silicone cure, clean up the excess and leak test it!

Mike

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Here, lemme help you with the pics...

One...

[​IMG][/IMG]

Two....

[​IMG][/IMG]

Three

[​IMG][/IMG]

Top Down View

[​IMG][/IMG]