My DIY ATO Water Pump. B>)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Zgetman, Jun 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Okay so I decided to do some tinkering today. I know I can get a cheap inexpensive Aqua Lifter pump for $15-$20 to do this job for me. Where is the fun in that, when I can build something out stuff I already have around the house?

Anyways here is the bill of materials:
    1. Air Pump - Common Aquarium air pump
    2. Water Container - (I used a 2 liter bottle for this build)
    3. 1/4" Rubber Airline Tubing
    4. 3/16" Rigid Airline Tubing

Here is the tools needed:
    1. Knife
    2. Drill
    3. 7/32" Drill Bit

First off I drilled 2 holes in the cap of the 2 liter bottle. I made sure to leave the rubber piece in the cap to ensure a better air tight seal, when replacing the cap.
    20140624_190411.jpg

Next I cut my rubber airline tubing into 2 pieces. One piece to reach the air pump and the other for a drain line. I then took the rigid airline tubing and cut a piece about 1/2" long and a piece that was the height of the bottle.
    2014-06-24 19.09.49.jpg

Next I pushed each piece of the rubber airline tubing into each hole.
    2014-06-24 19.09.24.jpg

After that I inserted the 1/2" piece of rigid airline tubing about 1/4" into the rubber airline tubing that comes from the air pump, and I inserted the the long piece of rigid airline tubing about 1/4" into the rubber airline tubing used for the drain line.
    2014-06-24 19.08.55.jpg

I then pulled the rubber tubing back through the cap until the rigid tubing was came through the top of the cap. This created an air tight seal that I did not need to glue or silicone.
    2014-06-24 19.08.08.jpg

Next I filled the bottle up with water and screwed the cap on the bottler hand tight.
    20140624_191121.jpg

I then connected the rubber tubing to the air pump and then turned the pump on.
    20140624_191211.jpg

Result:
    Water flowing out of the bottle at 10gph, and when I turn the power off it takes about 30secs for the water pressure in the bottle to equalize and stop the water pumping.

This will be used with a DIY ATO that I plan on building for my sump. A big plus to this is, the electricity is completely separated from the water.
    I hope you guys enjoyed my little DIY project..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Always nice to see a bit of diy :)

In my opinion though you will probably benefit more and be more stable if you can make it so it uses a float switch so it can feed the tank the water as it needs it rather than allowing it it drop and then you adding quite a lot of water in one go ;)

4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

This is not the ATO... This just the pump for it. There will be another switch that I am going to make to turn the pump on and off.

5. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Sorry, misunderstood the title :)

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

no problem, bro. Thought I would clear up the confusion. :biggrinbounce: