My cray fish is sick!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Destimondia, Jan 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Destimondia

Destimondia Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Whats been going on?
    So, i have had my cray fish for about 2 months and in the beginning he was doing great! He was moving a lot and eating my plants and eating some snails too. Then, since 2 weeks ago, he just got progressively worse and worse. He started to move less and started to stop hiding under his favorite hiding spot, which is under the log. he stopped eating snails after i put a whole new batch for him. Then there came a time, about 3 days ago, where sometimes he just wouldn't move, he would just stop moving and look dead. Today it got really bad and he was laying at a weird angle but not dead.

reasons
    he might be oxygen deprived but the thing is that i have a waterfall type of filter so that the water moves plenty. Then i thought he was starving, so i got some bottom feeder food. I placed it near him and he didn't touch it(at the end the other fish did though). Maybe he's just getting old and thats what they do, but it's been strange

What did i do?
    I really like him and so i put him in a smaller tank where he can reach the surface easily. i've been pulling him to the surface sometimes too, just to make sure it wasn't from being oxygen deprived.

about my tank

its a 20 gallon with 1 gourami, 1 spotted african leaf fish, 3 ghost shrimp (that he has never been able to catch(darn!)), many shrimp, 5 neon tetras, and 2 black phantom fish. I have a lots of fake plants and live plants and hiding places and real wood from my forest. The tank he is in now is a 2.5 gallon tank with heater and small fake plants and a piece of wood.
    IT SEEMS HE"S IN CRITICAL STATE! PLEASE HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Was this a cray fish that you purchased or one that you caught? If it was wild, it may require cooler water than what you can provide in a home aquarium. Have you checked water quality lately? Sorry I cant be of more help. I've never kept a cray fish before, just trying to think of some things that may be going on.

4. Destimondia

i dont know, but it might be my water so i put it in a different tank with perfect water levels and he seems to be doing better. thanks though

5. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

he might be molting...sry never kept one, happy to hear he's doing better!

6. Destimondia

no, he's dead, lol :/

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Craw fish are for eating!

Sorry to hear your pet one died.