My corals are bleaching??????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MagReef, May 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I have noticed that a couple of my corals are bleaching? possibly. I moved my stuff over to a new tank about three weeks ago and but even before the move I noticed a stalk of my frogspawn and a monti frag turned solid white. Now I have noticed that my little green birdsnest frag and an acro frag are white. I tested the water and it seems fine. I don't understand what is going on. Please help before I loose something else................:eek::confused::cry:

2. Click Here!

3. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

any iodine in the tank water?

4. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I'm sure that there is not that I add it specifically. It sometimes gets added with purple up that my husband uses. I told him we shouldn't use that anymore, but we are finishing up what we have :-/. Anyway, the test he bought for that is so difficult that I don't test it. I guess I'll take my college education and attempt to figure this lengthy process out. He used purple up more in the old tank than this new one, mostly because he hasn't been home that often since we got it. If that helps....

5. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

purple up also has iodine in it. its good to check if you are adding iodine to the water. feed them anything else?? do you use moon lights?

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i deal with nothing but acro's, what i need to know is your set up, parameters, and so on.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

How old are your lights?

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

There is a good chance your CA is on the high side need your parameters as reef_guru stated,to know more about it, how big of a tank and so on, maybe your tank is due for a water change, purple up is just a ca additive

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

is your coraline algae bleached as well?

11. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

is your coraline algae bleached as well?

doing weekly water changes in my 60 gal of about 5 gallons keeps my tank at 420 calc, so if you do regular water changes adn also add purple i would imagine your calc is really high. but with out parims, cant know.

12. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I have a 120 gal acrylic tank with a ReefMaster Pro refugium/sump (rated for 200 gal tank) running a Mag 12 pump and a Euro-Reef style protein skimmer (rated for 200 g). My light system has 2-250w MH, 4-96w actinic, and 8 blue LEDs. The blue lights are turned on in the mornings around 8 and go off at 8 pm. The MHs come on at 1 pm and go off at 6 pm. The LEDs and refugium lights are on during the night. I purchased my light about three months ago. I have 2-Korialia 4's in each corner pointed at 45 degree angles down and in.

I tested my tank around 5 pm last night....

ph = 8.2
    nitrite = 0
    ammonia = 0.25
    nitrate = 0 (tested twice, guess refugium made a diff the week its been running)
    phosphate = 0.25
    calcium = 380
    alk = 2.3
    iodide/iodine = 0.01

these are all the tests I have, so I tested them all