My coral looks bad

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Leesa, Apr 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

I have a botton polyp coral that has been in my tank for about 2 weeks.  All my water parameters are normal according to my test kit and also with confirmation at my LFS.  My problem is that a section of the coral is turning white and seems to be shriveling and I am concerned.  Will this continue to spread to the entire coral and kill it all or what?  It is possible that when first introduced to my tank that it was lying on the side that is affected.   I don't want it to die.  What should I look for?  What should I do?

Also, there is a white and black attachment at the base of the coral. I think it moves around the coral but I'm not entirely sure. It is sort of discus in shape and I have never actually seen it move but it is in different locations at different times. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Navy, 3, 90%]Hey Leesa,[/glow]

[glow=Green, 2, 80%]How old is your tank? Has it been set up a while? Or, only two weeks? What size is it? How much live rock do you have in it? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers will better help me help you. [/glow] ;D

[glow=Blue, 2, 80%]The black and whte discus thing could be a type of snail or slug. You need to watch it for a while and verify that it is moving. There are types of slug/snails that eat button polyps.

However, it sounds as though you have a water problem to me. But, without knowing all the answers to the above questions, I can't know for sure. Do you know what your parameters were? Ammonia, etc.?

I want to help you, Leesa. Please help me by giving me the info I need to do that.
    [/glow] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hi welcome to the board

this sounds like it could be a tough one to figure out because there can be several reasons for failure of corals. there are 5 main ones
    1. physical damage- mishandled corals during collection and/ or shipping, power heads, piece of rock falling on it

2. sediment damage - can occur in low flow areas of the tank, build up of food or waste from fish or feeding, sand moving fish, or possible powdery additives if not dissolved properly

3. predators - (some species) fish, slugs, nudribranches, snails, crabs

4. alge - build up of alges (hair, cyano, film)

5. disease - there are many different diseases main causes or stress factors are water quality, sediment, changes in salinity, major changes in light, or to high or to low of temperature

in your case it could be a couple of things to check for. You say your water quality is good. chances are it may keep spreading unless you can find the problem and maby reverse it.
    when your coral was laying on the side was it in the substrate? if so it could have sand or whatever u have in the bottom of the tank stuck to it. if so you can point a pwr head at it to clean it off or use a turkey baster also.

if the thing attached to it moves it could be a predator of some type to that particular coral. there can be many different types of predators so it would be difficult to say. next time u see it see if you can pull it off maby with a pair of tweezers or someting.

as far as diseases there are several types there also but i found a pretty decent site explaining different types of coral diseases. maby it could give u enough info to trouble shoot your problem if it is a disease

coral disease page

sorry i couldnt be more specific but it could be a different number of things maby with the info above you could pinpoint your problem or at least give u a place to start looking

5. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Wrassman,
    Thank you for your reply. My tank is 75 gallons with 40 pounds of live sand and 80 pounds of live rock and it was set up o March 15. On March 20, I put two damsels in because the LFS said this would help cycle the tank. March 28, one of the damsels was dead. At this point the LFS tested our water and declared it all within normal parameters except for the pH which was low at 8.0. I began adding B-Ionic #'s 1&2 twice weekly. They decided that the other damsel had probably killed this one. I began adding B-Ionic #'s 1&2 twice weekly. On March 30, I got a tang and the button polyp. The same day we had a light generated heat problem during which I basically fried the tang. He died 10 days later on Saturday, April 12. The same day Ammonia – very low, almost 0 but maybe a touch present (it depended on the light that we viewed it under).
    Nitrites – 0.05
    Nitrates – 2.5
    Alkalinity – normal
    PH – 8.2 (again, the value looks different under different light)
    Calcium – 390

6. Wrassman

[glow=Navy, 3, 90%]Hey Leesa,

How is your ammonia now? Ammonia can cause some corals and fish to have a "bleached out" appearance." You are having some other water problems as well, pH is a little low, and Calcium is definitely low. All of these stemming from "new tank syndrome."
    [/glow]

[glow=Blue, 3, 90%]Let's make a deal to buy no more fish until we get your water straightened out. Ok? [/glow] [smiley=deal2.gif]

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]The 2-part Bionics sound good. What other additives are you using? What kind of filtration are you using? Have you seen the black and white discus thingie lately??

You need to get your water under control (sometimes it requires more than a cycle). And you need to make sure that it is stable, before you start adding critters, I don't care what your LFS tells you -- remember, they are only in business to make
    [/glow] $$$.

[glow=Purple, 3, 90%]Let me know what your readings are on Thursday. In the meantime, keep doing your Bionics, and keep a close eye on your ammonia. If it starts spiking, do a 25% water change (but write down the value so that you can let me know what it was).

We'll get you through this Leesa. Just be patient, and do NOT go over to your LFS and think that he/she is telling you the gospel truth. Remember, they are only in business to make
    [/glow] $$$.

[glow=Navy, 2, 80%]Keep us posted.[/glow]

[smiley=computer.gif] [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=goldfish.gif] [smiley=lol.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=scholar.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=wacky.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]​

7. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Wrassman,
    Thanks again. I sent you a message personally because as I am new to all of this I wasn't sure if it was supposed to go here or directly to you. I think it contains more info that may be useful in helping you offer suggestions. After reading it please let me know what you think.

As for our deal regarding the LFS, too late. But, I'll stay away for a while from here on out.

However, I was reading about the starfish and algae in which there is a "problem" bubble algae. Of course, I had to go look and see if I too had this and guess what.....I have two patches of 3-4 clear bubbles. What now?

Man, having this forum is almost like having a 12 step program for reef people and wannabees.

Thanks again,
    Leesa

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]Hey Leesa,

What did you buy? I hope it is good and hardy.
    [/glow] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=goldfish.gif]

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]Your PM was great. I think we've covered most of it out here, but it was good to have it in one spot.

The buble aglae is called Valonia sp., and I wouldn't worry about it right now. You have other problems that take precedence. Prioritize, Leesa, and put your Valonia sp. on the "back burner" for right now.
    [/glow]

[glow=Brown, 3, 90%]Just concentrate on getting your water stabliized. Don't make any radical changes to the rockwork, the sand, the filtration (unless you want to get a skimmer), or the bio-load (what was that you bought as the LFS anyway??) Just let your parameters settle down for a couple of weeks until all is stable, and you aren't having any more "spikces" or strange occurrances. Please??[/glow] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=lol.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif]

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]Then tell me your readings and what your bioload is, and get your a skimmer (if you haven't already done so, and you'll be ready to go.[/glow]
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=angel.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=Mr-T.gif] [smiley=pimp2.gif] [smiley=pirate2.gif] [smiley=pirate.gif] [smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=sultan.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=wacky.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

10. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Wrassman,
    I didn't buy anything. They gave me a pulsing xenia. It is small and has 7-8 stalks. :-/

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will have a protein skimmer and a sump.

For the time being, I'll just watch and see what pops out next.

Thanks a lot,
    Leesa :)

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you need to slow down on your tank from the sound of it, it never finished cycling. you never want to add any fish or inhabitants until ammonia and nitrite are absouloutly 0. you say you added 2 damsels to cycle chances are the cycle killed your damsel not the other one. ammonia and nitrite are the deadly parts of the cycle. using damsels was the old way to cycle now the best way to do it is fishless. take a piece of peel and eat shrimp and throw it in the tank and let it run its course. you want those 2 parameters at 0 before adding "anything". one thing you will learn is there are a lot of fish stores that do not give the best advice. if your having the slightest amm or nitrite problem chances are this is whats killing your coral also.

here is a great page for beginners make sure you read up on the nitrogen cycle

reef keeping 101

another thing your tank is way to young to add a type of fish like an angel or a tang. they should be added to a tank that is at least 6 mths or more. they need good water quality and should be some of the last fish added. again any ammonia or nitrites will easily kill a fish like a tang. corals are even more delicate also.

your alkalinity you have listed as normal. it should be 9-12 dkh if thats the level your talking about. ph should be 8.2, and your calcium 400-450 ppms. but dont get anything else till you get your water straightend out

HTH

12. Wrassman

Well said, karla!

Good link, too. I bookmarked that one for future use... ;D