My Clownfish is Twitching

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by CoralQueen, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Don't worry about the QT, there is going to be some bickering no matter what. This is how they establish who is the boss. It doesn't matter which one goes in first. As for size, always go smaller. If you get the same size or bigger there is a chance both will be females, and if that happens they will fight to the death.

2. Click Here!

3. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

yeah my only concern now is making sure it is definitely an ocellaris because i wouldnt want to mix up having a perecula or an ocellaris because that may affect whether or not they pair correct?

4. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Oh the breed really doesn't matter i have a naked clown and an ocel. and they are an amazing pair and my father has 2 pecula and a black and white in the same tank. You can really put in anyone just make sure its about half the size of your main one in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

so i went for it... we added a second clown to our tank today :shocked2: so far all thats happening is some nipping and they seem to be following each other around. cant tell yet if its gonna work but my cleaner shrimp seems to be the most interested in it. he keeps trying to jump on it and pin it down... kinda weird :uneasy:

6. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

the twitching is a sign of submission actually, so usually the smaller males will do it at the larger females so the female knows the males knows who is in charge. assuming your female did it to the grouper to avoid bein a snack lol

1 person likes this.
  7. kayjay

kayjay Plankton

My clownfish are doing the same thing and they get along very good. they seem to do it to (for) each other so I bet she does see her reflection, aww she needs a friend.