My Clownfish is Twitching

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by CoralQueen, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

+1 on seeing reflection. I have 2 clowns in my tank and the male will still go to the corner and twitch at his reflection. Its very comical, and I've tried many times to get it on film but its like he knows what I'm doing and is embarrassed. He will immediately stop when I get near.

2. Click Here!

3. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

I wanted to suggest this in my first post, but I didn't. But since you asked.. now I will..

you should QT your current clown for a day or two, go get a new one, and add the new one to DT, then get the old one back out of QT and add him to DT. This will keep your old one from bullying new one, and they should take to each other!

As for size not sure... I guess you would want a smaller one.. but not too small??

4. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

well i will definitely leave that open as a possibility and do some more research on introducing a new clownfish and also work on getting that vid

5. CoralQueen

i also do not currently have QT so that would be something i would need to pick up; however, i am sure that it would be something good to have in the future as well

6. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

My 2 clowns do it all the time.. The bigger female even does it to the grouper in the tank.. She is nasty you can't even put your hand in there without her bitting you.. Don't worry about it.. Your clown is fine.

7. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Yea just add another clown about half the size of yours. You will see this dance for awhile. It pretty funny to watch my small naked clown and oc clown. The naked can dance and dance for 10 to 15 min. I agree sounds like just needs a friend in the tank and see its reflection in the glass thinks he found a new friend.

8. Click Here!

9. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

I saw a post earlier that said that the bigger one will develope into a male. Clownfish start off as males then turn towards female.

10. CoralQueen

thanks for all the replies everyone i will definitely look into finding my clownfish, which i apparently improperly named chloe since it starts as a male haha, a new friend

1 person likes this.
  11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Actually I said smaller and at birth they are not males nor females but more hermaphrodite. Dominance and hiearchy dictate true gender. That's how I understand it anyhow.

1 person likes this.
  12. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

True they are hermaphroditic, forgot lol, nice catch reefmonkey.