My Clownfish is Twitching

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by CoralQueen, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

My clownfish has gone to the corner of the tank and twitched every morning ever since I can remember (2 years). She inhabits a frogspawn so I had assumed she was probably being stung. Is this possible? Or even completely normal? I have other fish that are completely fine and the water parameters are normal. A little concerned.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Is there another clown in the tank?

4. CoralQueen

no just one and it's an ocellaris

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

hmm cuz it sounds like she's dancing which resemble a siezure and is kind of comical to watch. lol You said she does it in the corner of the tank? It's possible that she sees her reflection in the glass and is excited to see another clown. But you may want to check for stray voltage in that area of your tank.

6. CoralQueen

yeah i am really confused watching it because it does look like it is having seizures when it occurs. definitely not comical though when you have no idea what is causing it. For a while i had just assumed it was spazzing out randomly but I began to wonder if it was something more. I usually only see the end of it but this morning I saw it go on for almost half an hour and i got concerned. That does make a lot of sense that it could see its reflection and get excited but after two years I would think it would have realized by now that there is no other clownfish... I checked the tank and as far as I can tell there is no stray voltage she also doesnt have a particular corner but will choose any of the 4

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I can imagine the comical comment rubbed wrong, I'm sorry for not wording it better. The 'dance' freaked me out the first time I saw it and I have a mated pair.
    I doubt it's the hammer that is causing problems cuz of her mucus membrane. If anything it would be the hammer suffering from her contact.
    No stray voltage still leaves the ? unanswered but I'm sure she's just being a clown. I'd keep an eye on her and the hammer for the next few day and be prepared to qt if things get worse.

8. Click Here!

9. CoralQueen

no no i understand how it could be seen as comical knowing that it is just a clown being a clown and hopefully that is all that it is because i truly appreciate all the help and advice it has definitely put me slightly at ease and i will definitely be keeping an eye on them from here

10. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

If you've been seeing it for two years then I'm sure its the same thing my clowns have done ever since I've owned them. As Reefmonkey said: they dance for one another. My male always does it when he snatches a piece of food away from the female. She will headbutt him and he will begin vibrating really hard for a second or two. I also agree with reefmonkey that it is comical to watch. And it really is most likely cuz it is seeing its reflection. You say in the morning? Like.... right after you turn your tank lights on? and the room you're standing in is not well lit... which would cause a nice reflection on the inside of the glass, allowing your loner clown to have a buddy for a minute.

11. CoralQueen

i will try to get a video of it to show and you are probably right with the reflection theory it does make a lot of sense for that to be the reason, but does that mean it is lonely? Should i get another clown (smaller in size of course to avoid conflict) to be mated with?

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I don't know if she's lonely. Clowns are just dopey fish and that's why we love them so much! You could ad a small Oc. and watch to see if she's overly aggressive. There's gonna be some nipping and bullying but if it's to a point that she's stressing the new one out or not letting it eat you'll have to get it out. Being Ocellaris they should take to each other though. If they REALLY take to one another the new one will stay smaller and develop into a male.;)